Colt 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SmokeyCDT, Mar 1, 2012.

1. SmokeyCDT

SmokeyCDT New Member

Replaced my recoil spring with a heavy duty spring. Could this keep the gun from cycling right? Its not cocking the hammer back? It was a used gun when I bought it so I don't know if that was a problem when he traded it in to the gun shop.

2. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Did you not shoot it before? It makes sense if you put a heavier spring. What kind of ammo are u shooting out of it?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes that will cause that sort of behaviour. put a standard strength recoil spring in it.

4. SmokeyCDT

SmokeyCDT New Member

Will do. Also I shoot 230grain FMJ rds out of it

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

For the 1911 to cycle properly (correct timing), you must have the right spring installed.

The 5" Government Colt should run a 16# spring when shooting standard load ammo.

Running a too-heavy spring will scrub off energy and could stop the slide's rearward travel. Using a too-light spring will beat the frame to trash.

What is the rating of the "heavy duty spring" you installed?

6. SmokeyCDT

SmokeyCDT New Member

For the life of me i can't remember. It's been to long and I have 5 other firearm projects going on at the same time. The gun is a colt officers series 80. So what spring would I need!

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If it's a Series 80 Mk IV Colt Officers, it came with double springs. Is your guide rod skinny compared to a GI? If you went from the dual spring setup to a single you should change the guide rod.

A single Officers spring should be 22# if shooting standard load 230 ball.

EGW - Officer's Guide Rod Kit w/Clark Plug

8. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

Just what made you replace the standard recoil spring with this heavy one?:rolleyes: