Colt 1911 slide marking

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Sgt_Rock, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Sgt_Rock

Sgt_Rock New Member

I have a Colt 1911 made in 1918. My slide has the "horse" in the back. On the top of the slide, in front of the rear site there is a M or a W stamped. I have seen a P stamp in that area but never a M of a W. Is there anyone that can help solve this mystery?

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's an M and it stands for "Mine". Please send it to me immediately. ;)

Apologies, but I couldn't help myself. Have you tried the Colt website or the Colt Collectors forum yet?

3. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

W = windage

I'm kidding.
    The mark meant something to someone 100 years ago of course.
    I love a good USGI ordnance mystery.
    Keep us posted on what you may find and good luck!

eta: Maybe it's a rare Winchester slide and your retirement is now secure!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. willshoum

willshoum New Member

It's a W, it stands for Will..... Have gun Will Travel......:)

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Rumor was, in 1918, there was a war going on, and a shortage of 45 pistols. Commercial slides were used to assemble a large number of 45 pistols- yours MAY be one of those (no pictures of sides or serial number- shame on you) The letter is likely an assembler's mark. The P in a circle mark indicates proof testing.

Here is a bit more info for you- http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/Frame and Slide Markings.htm

6. Sgt_Rock

Sgt_Rock New Member

I am looking for help not jokes.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You are getting help. But it helps to have a sense of humor around here. You've been directed to the Colt Collectors forum and given another website for information. If you'd like to post some pics of the slide markings, we may be able to provide more information.

If you aren't happy because you didn't get exactly what you want instantaneously, that's on you.

8. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

9. Sgt_Rock

Sgt_Rock New Member

Thank for your help.

Thanks for the direction but I have went to a half of dozen collector sites and researched a dozen collector books and found nothing but the "P" proof mark. I have great sense of humor but I am still looking for the answers. Again thanks for the jokes.

10. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

As c3shooter says above, more information would be helpful to help you...

manufacturer, serial range, caliber, other parts and weapon features, history you might know, other markings, etc, etc.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Had you gone to the Introduction section and said hi you would have got the following:

[​IMG] to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member! [​IMG]

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Rules and Regulations << Click Here

Welcome All, Please Read << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Markings ......

This could be the mark of the machinist that made this one ind. part..... I had my makers mark to show that I had manufactured the part. This was to show who f788765 any parts in the line of assembly.....But then again.....Stick around Friend, Ask and you shall recieve, Take Every thing here with a grain of salt, Because some times these guys will rub you raw and add salt to the wound..... You gotta lovem.........;)

13. flyboy5296

flyboy5296 New Member

"M" Stamp on 1911 Slide

Hey, I have the exact same "M" stamp on my Springfield WWI slide. I can't get helpful answers about it either. Everyone says there should be a "P" or no mark on the top of mine. It's the exact shape and angle as yours.
    Anybody out there find anything out about this yet?
    I just bought a Clawson's book on 1911's, but I'm guessing it may not be in there. I'll see when it gets here.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

flyboy, welcome to the FTF. Might I suggest a stop by the "Introductions" area and say "Hi"?

15. flyboy5296

flyboy5296 New Member

Hey, I have the exact same marking on my WWI Springfield 1911 slide. Nobody can tell me anything about it. Would be cool if there's some history to talk about with the mark. Did you ever find anything out on your end?

16. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

17. flyboy5296

flyboy5296 New Member

I Have a Springfield 1911 With Same Mark

I have not gotten any good answers to this yet, but will keep asking.
    thanks!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  18. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

Any stamp u find on a gun that's not the serial number is a stamp that they approved the gun is worthy sometimes certain stamps ment for military . I have a book at home that has the definition of different stamps known in the world ill look it up

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

19. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Did you look at post #16?