colt 1903 .32

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BugsMoran, Jan 31, 2009.

1. BugsMoran

BugsMoran New Member

Hey guys, I recently acquired a Colt 1903 .32, according to serial number match up's it was manufactured in 1912, I'm interested in trading or selling it and was just wondering the estimated value of this? It's in fair condition, not perfect but nice and it fires. Thank you very much for your time.

2. 741512th

741512th New Member

Cool. Do you have a picture to post?

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]
    Pictures Puke!

Oh yea, welcome to the forum!

4. BugsMoran

BugsMoran New Member

:D haha, sorry guys my camera is m.i.a. as of the moment, was just curious if I could get some sort of rough estimate from someone who knows about these. It'd be much appreciated.

5. ScottG

ScottG New Member

We'd really need pix to tell. Most of the ones I see are around $400 - 600 for newer models. Condition matters as well as matching numbers, mag to the gun; type and condition of grips; condition of the finish. Anything special about it? Papers?

Should have a buyer somewhere....

6. BugsMoran

BugsMoran New Member

Well the serial numbers match, like I said this one apparently was made in 1912, so it's not exactly a newer model. Condition is good it's just not NIB kind of shiny. No papers, I live in Florida if that makes a difference. Thank you for that estimate though, would that still apply with the other details I provided?

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Take a stroll over to auctionarms.com, and to gunbroker.com, do an advanced search, CLOSED auctions, last 90 days, 32 colt, and see what they have sold for. Look at the pics, and see how yours compares. Condition is EVERYTHING.

8. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Just to add to my post, I've really only seen refinished ones. Only original finishes on those with provenance such as a letter from Colt or original receipts. Those can be priced up to $800.

9. BugsMoran

BugsMoran New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if these are detailed enough, but here are pictures just taken. I don't have any of the paperwork. According to serial it was made in 1912, I've seen some of these sell for a few thousand, and have also seen a few sell for as little as $300, just curious as to how much I should ask for this one. Thank you very much for your time and advice.

10. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Is the finish brown? Mine is brown but there are no other problems. I don't see any major dings and the grips look good. Are you going to sell at an auction site? I'd say to list it at $600 as a starting point and see what happens.

I personally like my '39 dated '03, but I don't have gun funds at the moment.

Any particular reason you're wanting to sell it? It makes a nice pocket gun or gun for someone sensitive to recoil. Maybe for a wife/daughter/mom/sister/lady friend? It is a Colt after all....

11. BugsMoran

BugsMoran New Member

The finish is blue, the trigger and slide safety appear a bit lighter of a blue as most guns made then do. I've never sold a gun on an auction side and have no experience shipping a fire arm through a FFL, I was just thinking about selling it at a gun show perhaps. Maybe I should look into an auction site. But the reason I am selling is that at the moment I'm not a fan of older guns, and I don't have half of my dream list of guns, so I don't have room for the red headed stepchild at the moment :D Thanks for your advice though, much appreciated. How much should I ask at a gun show?

12. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I knew it was a blued gun, but has the finish patinaed into a brown or is most of the finish remaining? I couldn't really tell from the pix.

I'd say ask $400 and see what happens, but as it's an early model maybe ask $500. If you really want to sell it that is.

13. BugsMoran

BugsMoran New Member

I'd say it's mostly blued, this is the first blued gun I've owned and don't know much about describing quality of the finish haha. Also, the slide safety works, but there is a very small chip in the part that you put the slide safety in to hold the slide back. As a result you can not lock the slide back. But thanks for your advice, I guess I'll be asking about $450 for it at the next show. :D

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find an online diagram of disassembly instructions?

14. sbc1320

sbc1320 New Member

I would say about 400-450 would be about right for the looks of that gun. It is not a red-headed step child though. You need to go and shoot it and it will be on your list of wanted guns then. Those are fantastic little shooters. Some question the stopping power of the little 32's, but I love those and would be very comfortable carrying mine. I know shot placement is what counts and it is a very accurate gun. I have a very very very nice one and a Colt Combat Elite 45 also. The Colt 32 is one of my favorite all time guns. Designed by John Browning as was the 1911 45 I believe. General Patton used to carrry one also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009