coloring ATI stock

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by njnewbe, Jul 9, 2013.

1. njnewbe

njnewbe New Member

I have an ATI stock on my Mosin Nagant and was wondering how to go about changing the color to od green. spray pant or is there a specific pant for that kind of plastic?

2. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I would use duracoat or cherakoat it will cost more but they are much more durable than spray paint.You also get much more color options.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Dead on. I'll suggest duracoat once more though. Easier to work with.

4. njnewbe

njnewbe New Member

ok sounds good, one to two coats im guessing? and do i need to follow up with a protective layer or will just that do the trick?

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Duracoat gets harder over time. It's useable after 24-48 hours but will still cure for weeks after applying. It wont need a top coat.

6. floydrharper

floydrharper New Member

Duracoat is great stuff, but the website recommends using clear topcoat over certain colors (mostly the metallics). I'm not sure why but I did it anyway. I agree that curing time is critical. I would leave all parts alone for a few weeks. Here's my G20 in Duracoat Gold after clearcoating and curing for 2 weeks. As to the slide, I sent it to Glockstore for Titanium Nitride coating. I wanted something with a little higher Rockwell number on my slide. The mag buttplates are gold aluminum available from Glockstore and they make magazine insertion a sublime experience. I'll post pics when the slide and gold extended magazine release arrive- probably in 2-3 weeks.

Attached Files:

• GG.jpg
      GG.jpg
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  7. floydrharper

floydrharper New Member

Of course I meant gold extended slide release.

8. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Painting plastic........

In auto body world(lots of plastic parts),theres an old,old saying.......

"If it's a floater,use a promoter".

It's a reference to adhesion promoter.In practice,you cut a sliver of plastic from part and throw it in a glass of water.If it floats......well,you get the idea.

Yes,I know there's "new" paint technology where the promoter is in the paint.But you may be using a color or type of paint that dosen't have it......look or ask about it at your auto/body pro shop.

9. floydrharper

floydrharper New Member

I would certainly agree with the "promoter" or "primer" comments. However, these 2-part ceramic coatings seem to stick very well without such prep. Their use on the polymer frame wouldn't make sense unless they stick more aggressively than the ceramic coating, and I don't think that they do. My slide is being PVD coated with Titanium Nitride and I don't think that priming is an option there, as I think it must be applied to bare metal.