collections agency question...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mosin, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I called the power company (Maine Central Power) before I went to sea, in October. I had moved, and wanted to confirm that I owed them nothing, and that my utility bill was switched to the new tenants. They informed me that I was fine, owed them nothing, and that everything was taken care of on my end. No email, no phone calls...nothing.
    I just get home tonight, and see a stack of letters from a collections agency, stating that I owed Central Maine Power $190. And that It has been reported and gone to collections.
    Well **** them.
    What can I do from here? I don't want this on my credit. I did what I was supposed to do.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Call them and see what they are willing to do. If they failed to switch to Tenant billing then they may be flexible. You may have to follow up with the collection agency to ensure that they get notified of the resolution.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

My main concern is this being reported to my credit agencies... if this is resolved, can they remove it from my credit report, or what steps do I need to take to ensure that this does not negatively impact my credit?

I've been busting my ass to build up credit the past year, looking to buy a house, and come home to this ****...i am furious right now.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am going through a similar thing with my mother's old phone service. I called and shut it off, got the confirmation number, person's name, wrote down the time and day that it all was done. Got a bill two months later saying that they owed her money, I called and read them the confirmation number etc and asked that they send mom a check for the amount, etc..

two months later we get another bill, this time saying she owed them $60-some etc.

This all started two tears ago. it has gone to collections and they are now calling my cell phone. I have sent them copies of all of the documentation, numbers, etc. but I don't think it is cleared up yet.

Basically I am just saying fuk em. Mom won't need her credit rating anyhow.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The power company charged me for my dead beat renters electrical. They were supposed ot put it in thier name but never did.
    And the power company never turned off their electrical despite them being many months behind ( where I live its switched off if i forget it over 60 days).

I had to pai $1800 dollar for my dead beat renters electrical to have the power on in my house when i needed the sump pumps running.
    They were only about to turn it off after I had those jack asses finally evicted.
    they did multi thousand dollar damage to my house floor too.

I should have evicted them much sooner but the dad got put in jail shortly after they move din and I felt sorry for them when the mom cried on the fone when i told her she was 6 months behind.
    In the end when they left they were 11 months behind.

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That is McCool's point. Did you go to the links he provided?

First one says

"If you are getting threatening and abusive calls or you have collectors harassing you at work or at home, it's time to fight back! Debt collectors routinely violate federal law. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) protects your rights and punishes out-of-control collectors.
    *A third-party debt collector is an agency that is NOT the original creditor, lender or company from which you have borrowed money or received a line of credit."

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I went to the links provided. The agency never contacted me as far as I know. I don't have any messages or emails... I was at sea, and came home to a stack of letters from them.
    So they're not violating any of those laws.
    as far as I understand, yes, they can report it to a credit agency that I did not pay them...

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

OK. Sorry about that. I thought they were calling.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Mosin, contact a licensed Attorney or Legal Aid Society. The "Free" advise you a receiving is worth just that much. :rolleyes:

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Perhaps just call the agency, explain the situation and offer to pay the $190 if they will remove the bad rating they are creating because of it. That would be a whole lot cheaper than retaining an attorney. I doubt one would even consider it for less than a thousand dollars (and that would be cheap! Remember, you get what you pay for.:p).

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  14. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

the wife had issues with collections not long after we started dating, I didn't know much about it but told her to keep all paperwork she got from any of them. of course after the debt was paid we learned we had more options than we knew we had

she paid one off she knew went into collections & a few months later those scum suckers LVNV Funding sent her a letter saying she owed them the same amount she had paid the other creditor a couple months earlier. she contacted the original debtor plus the collections leeches they sent to her & eventually LVNV gave up & moved on.

contact the original debtor first to see if there's anything that can be done & keep ALL paperwork. if it goes into collections once, you might have 2 or 3 different companies coming after you for the same debt, even after it's paid

15. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Clouds on your credit report can be like cockroaches. Squash one and another shows up. Once it goes on the report it can be like a nightmare. You think everything is fine and two years later go to buy a truck and boom, there it is.
    Playing the credit score game is one of the reasons I became debt free. Godspeed man, you are going to have to spend some time to work this all out.

16. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The power company is the billing party. Only they could report the default to the credit agencies. Call the power company and negotiate a payoff and demand they remove any reference on your credit profile. They don't profit from harming your credit. They just want what's due.

Download the Credit Karma app. It's free and gives you access to your credit history and FICO score.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Even threatening letters are a form of harassment. I would report the collections agency just the same. There is enough stress in life without someone dunning you for money you have already paid.

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

First of all, thank you all for the advise.

McCool, this is exactly what I did. I told them when they provide me a written document stating that they will remove credit reporting from my credit, i will make the payment just to be done with it.
    I know that I have recourse under the soldiers and sailors act, but I'll start with this and see where it goes from there.

I'm a Dave Ramsey fan myself, but I was just wanting to get the good credit score for a home purchase I'm planning on making in the upcoming year.

Again, Thanks for the help and advise.

19. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I would freak out on them because if you want to use your VA home loan you cannot have any delinquent payments for the past 12 months or any collections

20. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You are legally entitled to get a free credit report from the big three agencies each year. Get your credit reports, and then file a detailed dispute with the credit agencies. That way you're on record as disputing the issue. That's the starting point to getting it cleared up.