Collectible?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dog2000tj, Dec 25, 2008.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Hey folks, just looking to get some opinions on this lower receiver,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118878414

As I stated in my other posts I've got what I wanted for Christmas. I know it is pricey but it seems like a worhty cause. I just thought that this would be a nice trophy/novelty/safe queen collectible. Not sure how I would build it up but I could always sell it later if it doesn't pan out. So what do you all think?

2. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i like that, pretty sweet

3. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

thats is pretty cool i'd shoot it though, would be a great piece to show off on the line

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

An interesting idea if you have the money to burn. It's not for me - but it certainly would make a nice piece if done properly...

JD

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Sweet

It's mine. :D No other bids were placed. So now all I have to do is cut down a few money tree's and burn em'. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I really liked the cause they were promoting. Plus, I can sit on this one for a while and come up with something really unique. I'll have plenty to do with the other 2 AR's I got for Christmas. :)

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well done Sir, well done! Congrats on the "win".

Looking forward to your posts on the project.

JD

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Effing' Sweet

Just picked her up, she is awesome (although if she were in red that would be wicked sexy), ;)

php78mK8qPM.jpg
    phpMFFnDAPM.jpg
    phpP6vifLPM.jpg

:D

So, what to do, what to do? Hmmm ......

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I like her. She looks good. She needs some accessories, but she looks good.

What are your intentions with that fine piece of kit Mister? :p

JD

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

That's a good question Dillinger.

I have no idea. I have been tossing around some concept ideas for this one while I am researching/selecting componenets for my STAG project. So far nothing has stuck. :eek:

I just caught up on your thread on the OA matched lower/receiver and was nearly heartbroken that you called it off. WTH? :( I really the liked the idea of the 6.5 platfrom with a 5.56 secondary. Plus, that thread has tons of great information in it. Are you sure you don't want to rethink that one, I had thought of maybe piggybacking off your idea? :D

Seriously though, I've got myself the .308 - which is awesome by the way. I'll end up with a 5.56 carbine/tactical set-up with the STAG. On that one I can add a second upper for more precision and longer range use. So I think I'll look at possibly a whole new cartridge and most likely some custom componenets. It looks like it's more research for me. :)

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well brother, I tell you, it wasn't an easy decision, but times being what they are, a 6.5 Grendel just isn't in the cards right now. If BHO hadn't won, or if there wasn't so much noise about ammunition registration, I would still be pursuing it, but right now, I think less is more.

The less calibers I have to reload for, the better I can stock up and wait out the next couple of years.

Besides, I can bang out a good, sub-moa shooter in 5.56/.223 - then perhaps sell off my 17" for a profit, upgrade my CQB model with the profits AND upgrade a couple of components for the reloading bench.

Even so, I will still be here for advice, so you can take what I found out, apply it and build the first 6.5 Grendel of the site. How would THAT be for notoriety?? :D

Where's my range report and some targets on that .308 model? I am most interested in seeing how she shoots!

JD

11. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Dillinger,
    We'll see how things go with the STAG. If I feel confident enough after that one than I may take up the 6.5 Grendal. As far as the range report goes, I doubt I will get you one before March. I still have research to do on the scope. Then I have to break in my girl. Plus I am hoping that by then the winter weather will have broken. I am sure she will shoot fine, it's me that I would be wondering about. :eek:

By the way, when are you gonna finish Mjolnir? I am hooked on that thread. :)

Matt,
    I like the way you think, I was thinking about buying a complete one of those for Christmas as well. Unfortunately here in NY you cannot have an SBR or a suppressor, plus a whole host of other stuff. :( Trying to stick it to the man here would probably land me in Rikers getting stuck by some man. Not the direction I want to go in.

But, fortunately for me, I won't be living in NY for more than a couple of months. So that may be a possibility. :D

13. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I think it is a nice looking lower and seems to be of high quality... worth the price paid. But collectible? Probably not. It should hold its price or raise in price equal to other quality AR receivers.

14. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I live in Cali, so I feel your pain quite strongly. Hang onto it, just in case you land in a free state while we're still a free country. You know that you want to, as that would be a damn fun gun that I laid out for you, even if you did build it in 5.56, rather than the .458 suggested.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Thunder Hammer shipped out from Lone Wolf in it's new uber high tech stock yesterday as a matter of fact. Should be back in the shop for bluing and final assembly by the end of the week. With luck, and if I get my ass in gear and get a scope, I should have a range report in Feb....*crosses fingers*

JD