Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Scratchammo, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Does anyone own one of these? How bright is gasoline? I'd like to get one for my 4 wheeler.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Don't have one of these

[​IMG]

But I have had many others that perform flawlessly! But spare mantles!

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

That's good to know.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A mantle type lantern puts out about the same light as a 200 watt lightbulb. It uses a cloth mantle that is burned to ash, and the ash, heated by the gasoline flame, becomes incandescent- it is white hot.

Two things- the mantles are very fragile- a touch or bump, they crumble to dust- which is why the note on spare mantles- and they won't work on a moving vehicle.

Second thing- they glow because the mantle is treated with a dissolved metal, deposited on the cloth. The metal is what glows. Metal is also why you should be very careful when cleaning dust from a shattered mantle, and do the first burn in the open air. It is Thorium. Mildly radioactive, it is an alpha emitter. While your skin will stop alphas, if you inhale them, they are directly in your lungs.

PS- part of my "What the hell happened to the lights?" gear are two Coleman table LAMPS. Made for indoor use, about 1910, twin mantles, nickel plated steel. Scored them both for under $5 at an auction. Lehman's non-electric still carries them- at $140 a pop!

5. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Coleman Lanterns

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I have been running and using Coleman lanters for decades and yes they do work, are Pleanty bright and workable!That said, I wil repeat and agree with other Posters about the mantle being Fragine, 9So Bring Spares) as well as that the Older lanterns work Great and only real Difference with a Dual Fuel and a Regular White gas Lantern ior stove is the Generator part! I have compared them and the Generator oin the dual Fuel has larger Ports inthe filter in it and that allows it to burn Unleaded gas, where a White gas has a small screen Filter , if you swop out the generators or Clean your Whit gas Generator in a Pan of white gas everyone once ina while they ALL CAN RUN ON UNLEADED! White Gas, in my opinion burns Brighter and every once ina while I burn a tank of white gas in all my lantersna nd stoves and keeps them clean and working better! Another word on these, they get VERY HOT, don't allow to Fall, or Break the Glass or Burn folks as they can Melt Plactic and lead to really bad Burns? The Glass globe of one of these is like 8-10$ Replacment so Try not to Break it? I use a Plactic carry case and that seems to save the Glass Breaking a lot! hese Lanterns and stovs can be bought cheap eough if you shop used and garage sales new the Lanterns at wall mart Dual Fuel near $70.00 for a larger Dual Mantle unit! I'ce paid anything from 8-20$ on mine and have 2 Dual fuel lanters, as well as a Few Older Converted white gas ones many I piad like $5.00 each for! Well worth the back up light and Camping use , in my opinion!

RON

6. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

I have both a duel fuel lantern and stove from Coleman. Both work flawlessly with gasoline (imho). I will echo 1. extra mantels are an absolute must, and 2. not for use on a moving vehicle.

If I remember correctly, burn time for the lantern on a full tank of fuel is 6-8 hours; depending on how bright you are burning it.

I'm also not sure if they still come with a reflector or if you have to buy them separately, but that is another must have item as well.

7. RONSERESURPLUS

Good Points Troy

Good Points Troy,

Yes about 6-8 Hours seems about rghtk but not sat ands timed it to be honet! I don't have any Reflectors in mine, but Dad used to always add a sheet of aluminum Foil to act as a Reflector? I've used them with and without and to me, It wasn't a Big Improvement? we always Hung the lanterns on a Branch or Elevated so it shone down on the Site or what ever, I've seen folks use them in tents and thats a Bad Idea! I've always Liked the Have trhe Right outsuide the tent where ya coud Lite it and use as ya got out of tent? That was our way and worked for us? man, have you all Notied the Price Increase on these as well as Fuel and even the Stoves in Dual Fuel now are high $?

RON

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for all the info, y'all have been extremely helpful. So there's no possibility to transport it on trail with the same mantles?

9. orangello

orangello New Member

If this is the same as the green Coleman lanterns that burn Coleman fuel or gas, the mantles are darn cheap. I've never lost a mantle to shock from carrying the lantern, but have effed up more than a couple with a long match and poor lighting technique.

Want something a lil weird, try to find a carbide head lamp, kinda spooky. I have seen an antique (reeeeally antique) car with cabide headlamps.

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for the info, I'll take it easy on the trails & stock up on mantles.

11. c3shooter

Once the mantle has been burned, it is a very light ash. Carrying the lantern- usually does OK. Transporting on an ATV is another matter. Ref: carbide lights- yeah, pretty neat- but have you tried buying calcium carbide lately?

Price of mantles- about .50 to $1 each if you shop carefully. I added a twist type spark igniter to my camping lanterns so I do not need to poke around with the match. Have one propane, and one old style red gasoline lantern.

12. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

How is gasoline brightness in comparison to propane?

13. c3shooter

Gas/ propane about equal. The actual light is from heating the mantle until it glows- white hot. What heats it is immaterial. Advantage propane- turn the valve, spark, whoof, let there be light. Gas- pump up pressure tank, turn starting lever, open valve, spark, whoof, big flame, as it steadies down move starting lever to run, adjust valve. Advantage- SHTF, I can find a burnable liquid easier than I can find bottles of propane.

14. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Good info. I found a Dual Fuel for $35 at Wally World.

15. RONSERESURPLUS

More Information

Hello all, RON L here

As Far as these lanterns go, I don't see any Real Problem, Transporting the Lanten on an ATV, not using it while the $ wheeler is moving, but if in a case, should be able to Transport it to where you stop and use it, the mantles are Fragile once Burned and they might be damaged by bouncing around, but at least once ya replace the mantle with a new one, should be fine? I transported one ona Dirt Bike ina Case it made it fine! Dual Fuel does allow for use of BOTH white Gas and Unleaded fuel, it will not allow you to Burn Alchol or Kerosene or diesel, seen a lot of these Great Lanterns or Stoveds Scred up by Trying to use those fuels? I'd say buy a spare Generator ($like 12$), so if that Clogs up, you can remove and replace it with simple hand tools? These are Good solid Devices but the glass is easy to Brealk,they do generate a Good amount of heat, as well as light and should never be uned indoors without adequite ventelation, vever ina tent or near things that can melt or catch on fire! Simple precautions will make these a Great Lite Back up device, but they have thier limitaions and safty requirements!

Hope all that helps! If ya found a new onat Wally World for $35.00 that a Great $, far cheaper than I have seen here? I normally try and buy used as it saves ya toons of $, as well as I know how to service and repair them!

RON

16. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Heven't used the lantern, but the dual fuel stove is awesome and something that doesn't leave my Jeep.

17. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

PRO for propane - INDOOR use doesn't create a toxic atmosphere

CON for (gas, or other flammable hydrocarbon liquids) - INDOOR use CAN/DOES create toxic atmosphere

"some" flammables do not create toxic fumes, but most, if not all, of your hydrocarbon based fuels will.

A REAL PONDERANCE TO THINK ABOUT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN'T LET IN FRESH AIR.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  18. mtnscout

mtnscout New Member

Comment on dual fuel stove

At wally world you can get an adaptor to burn propane in a coleman stove using the one lb. bottles. You can also get an adaptor and a hose that will allow the stove to be connected to an 20 lb. tank giving you a lot of options. I used this set up on my last hunting trip and it worked really well. :)
    The 1 lb. bottle cooked several meals and boiled water quickly at 9500 ft. in the rockies.

19. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

That's good to know :)

20. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

On the topic of lanterns.

Thoughts on oil/kerosene lanterns or lamps?

The trend these days is to whitegas or propane, which I have, but I was thinking of picking up some World Famous Kerosene lanterns from Canadian Tire for about 20 bucks each. Any experince on these, or similar lamps?

Oil lamps burn super bright, I'd say one is worth a dozen candles at least, odourless and near smokeless. Kerosene is a bit dirtier, but effective. I also hear that although smelly, kerosene/oil is safer than whitegas since WG can explode if dropped.

Kerosene/oil lamps that are made of metal are still used on private yachts, they work while moving and do not explode, but can be a fire hazard if dropped/spilled. Also mantle free!

I'm just debating which way to go. I like oil/kerosene, I figure the old technology existed because it worked, but I don't want to be closed minded to new things.