Cold weather lubricants

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by trip286, Dec 17, 2013.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

Types and options? Go. Tell me all about it.

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When it hits -25 here in the Rocky Mtns. my lubes are never a problem. That is because the guns remain in the house when it is that cold. :eek:

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

incidentally, that was one of the responses I was looking for. Thank you.

4. VoxRomantic

VoxRomantic Member

Ten drops of oil, two drops of gasoline.....:)

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Guns should not carry heavy lube regardless of summer or winter. The key to firearms and cold weather is a well cleaned weapon. I use the dry lubes that are used for sizing brass. Namely "One Shot".:D

6. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I'm not sure, but when I was watching "Alaska State Troopers" i noticed all the officers would close the latch on their ARs after loading them, which was weird to me. I guess that says something about exposure.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's normal manual of arms for AR type rifles, and that's exactly what it's there for. It's actually called a dust cover. The guys doing it on the show could have possibly been vets who remember getting smacked around in boot camp for NOT doing it! :)

8. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

This explains a lot lol. Thanks!

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I use Mobile 1, Pennzoil synthetic, or Castrol synthetic. They seem to work ok.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

For general lube use light synthetic motor oil (see above;)). But for things like the interior of a bolt (firing pin and spring) the spray on dry case lube is GREAT, or a moly disulfide dry lube is good.
    Hope this helped.:)

11. JimRau

That is how they are trained (I trained with them). But the reason we train that way is to keep the 'crap' out of the action.:)

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I would think kerosene, instead of faster evaporating gasoline.

13. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

My favorite cold weather lubricant is Old Grandad 100 proof. I enjoy drinking and watching the snow. In all seriousness interesting thread.

14. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Mobile1 synthetic for grease.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

The reason I ask, by the way, is because I'm looking at a possible move to Minnesota. It's gonna be a lot colder there. Around here, the humidity could work as a lube! Just gotta protect against rust!

16. JimRau

Louisiana to Minnesota, OMG are you in for a change. But synthetic oil is good in both locations! ;)

17. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

My SR40 stays in the truck sometimes when it gets to 20-30 below (Minnesota, where that happens often). I use CLP for all my stuff, never an issue regardless of temperature. It is rated to retain it's viscosity down to -40.

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Clp also as a run of the mill lube. Pro-Shot Pro- Gold on area than need a heavy lube. Both work well down -10 that I know of. Labels cover another 30*.

19. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I realy like Gunzilla .it works amazing . I have hunted -30C for cyote never had a problem . Check the testimonials on the internet.
    I have nothing vested in this stuff it just realy works
    F.K.

20. regload

regload Member

Ditto for me. That's one of the things they (those oils) were designed for.