Cold Steel's folding knives that open with two hands....

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by HunterMarksman338, Mar 5, 2009.

1. HunterMarksman338

HunterMarksman338 New Member

Cold Steel has two knives in their line.. the black rock hunter and the Paradox both require both hands to open. They aren't butterfly knives but would be these be considered as good carry knives? I imagine it would suck to open them when under stress or adrenaline, but they are legal though even in the UK to carry. Is there really a point to them really for self-defense sense? Other than having a strong locking mechanism.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No offense bro, but that is the dumbest damn thing I have ever seen in a knife.

I have met Lynn Thompson twice, and I truly like the guys knife blades, I feel they are some of the best on the planet, but his handles are always some stupid assed design that no one wants, or needs, in a knife.

Why on Earth you would WANT to have to tie up both hands to open a knife with his "one click, two click, three click, four click" approach when faced with a threat is completely beyond me.

What are you going to do? Run around a parked car and hope the bad guy doesn't have his knife, or gun, already out and tracking on you??

Knife crime in England is actually on the rise, even with the 11 bourough recent "bannings" of all pocket knives. I expect them to go back to allowing knives in the near future because the Brits are making serious noise about how bad the knife crimes have become in the areas where it is now ILLEGAL to carry a blade.

I would strongly suggest another option, like Kimber Life Act or something that is Less Lethal, but more effective, given this criteria.

4 clicks to get that knife opened is going to get you stabbed, or shot, multiple times before you even have a fighting chance...

JD

3. HunterMarksman338

Aye'.... I was thinking the same thing too, I have two of their knives and they are awesome. I just don't see the point of these two folders other than being really really safe to carry in regards to not accidentally cutting your finger when trying to reach it in your pocket. Course I've never encountered that kind of problem with folding knives or even fixed.

You really met the guy? I've recently just starting watching his product DVDs and kudos to him for going all out with the torture tests. I wonder if he is going to make a new one with his new stuff.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Absolutely. He is very approachable and quite talkative to be honest. Cold Steel always has a HUGE booth at the SHOT Show and I have gone 5 times in the last 7 years. If you ever get the chance to go, I HIGHLY recommend it because you can play with EVERY gun you have ever wanted to touch. :D

Have you seen the latest one where they test their swords? Amazing stuff.

They really make great steel, but whoever is in charge of their handle division needs to go back to work for tupperware.

I have their Hatamoto and that damn blade is AMAZING. I could probably pry a manhole cover out of the ground with the damn thing... LOL But, that damn G-10 scaled handle eats the holy hell out of my pants....

JD

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

why not jut get a simple folder stud to open it with one hand? all this two handed opening stuff seams a little stupid to me. If I could I would get one of them assisted opening benchmade knives. I should have purchased one while I was in the army. (DUMBAZZ)

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  7. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

What a crock! A bogus butterfly...

You don't want to use two hands to open a freakin' knife!

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I understand this is for the U.K. market, but I've never had a knife just "pop" open on me, regardless of style.

If I had to go through all that, I'd hit the bad guy.

And if I was a bad guy, I'd feel badly for my victim, because they already got robbed with the purchase of this knife, and I'd just walk away.

9. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

We buy nothing but kimber and I have never had problems with min Aaron dropped his bike skidded on 30 feet of asfault tore the side of his pants open where the knife was in his pocket then the next day went back to look for it and the knife was still in PERFECT condition with the exception of a few scratch marks. He sent it back to kimber to be inspected and they sent him a brand new knife even though that one worked fine.

10. HunterMarksman338

Why did Lyn stop making the Arc-Angels? I was actually going to buy one but his site doesn't sell them anymore. Not selling a whole lot?

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am not sure, but I believe they still sell them out of their Texas shop. Arc-Angels are SUPER illegal in Kalifornia, where Cold Steel is based for some stupid reason.

Check with these guys

They always have great prices on Cold Steel stuff and they may still have a few... I have done business with them about a dozen times and always been happy.

JD

12. matt g

I had an old Balisong spear point back in my juvenile delinquent days. It was rock solid and loads of fun to play with. Many a friend has a scar on their fingers from playing with that thing.

Like many things, they're of questionable legality in Cali. IIRC, only LA and San Fran counties have ordinances against them.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

and Oakland.....For sure on those three...

14. HunterMarksman338

How come there are stores here in my town that sell butterfly knives?? I know of three popular stores here in Fresno County that sell them, one of them sells tactical gear to police officers and to civilians. I sure the police see those knives.... does it differ from county to county?

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

One word bro - "Collector"

It's not illegal to own and collect. It's illegal to own and CARRY....

JD

16. HunterMarksman338

I worry then... I know quite a bit of people here even at the church I go to who carry butterfly knives on their person. So.. they are risking getting in serious trouble or the cops here just don't care about enforcing that law.... I know I wouldn't enforce this law if I was a police officer.

So they own and carry... and these are good guys, clean record.... I don't want them in trouble. They just purposefully ignore this law.

17. matt g

It boils down to what an officer wants to do. A lot of misdemeanors and civil infractions are left to the officer's discretion. The letter of the law and the intent of the law are rarely one in the same.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Plus one on that. I got a buddy who recently became a King County Deputy. He was over and checking out my Presidio 5000 one night during a UFC fight card and told me the following:

"If you get caught with this, and the cop is in a bad mood, you are going to be in trouble". I was like, it has an external safety, so it's not a gravity knife, and the safety locks the blade in place, so it's not a spring assist until such time that it is to be opened....

His reply: "And with your record ( none ) and the worst case of getting stopped for speeding or J walking, that would definitely be enough for you to be on your way without a problem....

It's all in who you are and how bad of a mood the cop is in. If you have a record, you are probably going to be in trouble. If you are Joe Citizen, minding his own business and just didn't lead them on a 60 mile high speed pursuit, you are probably going to get a warning and have a nice day...

JD

19. HunterMarksman338

For awhile I was actually shopping for a balisong thinking that they were ok to carry. I don't care about doing all that fancy flipping around... I like the safety of the blade being inside the handle and flipping it isn't that long when I pull it out of my pocket ( I've been training with a trainer).

I was disappointed when I found out these suckers are illegal. UGH! Butters are AWESOME! :cool:

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hunter - Have you checked the knives that feature an auto opening feature when they leave your pocket? I forget who is leading the way with them, but it will come to me here in about 5 minutes.

The feature a really good, strong blade, with a bit of a "J" shaped hook on the back of the blade, and when you remove it from your pocket, it catches on the double stitching of your jeans and automatically pops open, so you are holding an open knife, but it is not an auto assist or even a spring loaded blade. Your own force determines if the weapon opens or not....

Let me look for that company. I saw a demo at SHOT in 2007 and it was pretty cool. Wicked thick blade....