Cold Steel Roach Belly

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Old_Crow, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have been looking for a throw away skinning knife. The Cold Steel Roach Belly fills the bill. It is a very agile and easy to handle knife. It only took a few minutes with a ceramic rod to get the Roach belly shaving sharp. The sheath has no retention strap. I will get a piece of Velcro to rivet on the sheath.
    Edit: There is no need for a retention strap on the Roach Belly. The handle will slide down into the case. Unless a deer hangs me upside down I will not lose the Roach Belly.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...inless-steel-blade-polypropylene-handle-black
    Here are the details:
    Handle Material: Polypropylene
    Blade length: 4.5"
    Blade Thickness: .1"
    Blade Steel: 4116 Krupp Stainless Steel
    Rockwell Hardness: 56-57

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Werminator

Werminator Member

Krupp's is not a super steel but the roach belly is definitely worth what you pay for it. I have a CRKT Ultima in Krupp's that has held a fair edge with occasional fun slicing. It's a knife I won't use often as it is intended for very serious tasks but it should do well when it does see action...

3. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The Roach Belly does well as a skinner. But when butchering it doesn't take a lot of contact with bone to lose its edge. I skinned two deer with the roach belly without sharpening it. But when deboning hindquarters it needed sharpening after each hindquarter. Not a full sharpening but it did need a good touch up to strip the pelvic bone easily.