Cold Steel closeouts!

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Franciscomv, May 9, 2010.

1. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I thought I'd give you guys a heads up on some great deals on discontinued Cold Steel knives. They are selling some really cool knives at very convenient prices, for instance a Recon 1 is around $50 and the Talwar (which I never gave a second look because of the price) is around $168.

For those who like traditional slipjoints, their Camillus made Country Classics line is selling for $25 a pop! Those are great knives from a sadly gone manufacturer that was a big part of US cutlery history.

And for those who like folding pocket swords, the Rajah 1 with Andrew Demko's excelent Tri-Ad lock is going for $100!

Here's the link:
    Seconds and Closeouts

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Excellent news Francisco. Thanks for posting.

While we don't mention the CS word around these parts because of their indifference to our Spartan testing ( :mad::rolleyes: ) - But, they still do make some good knives.

JD

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Thanks Francisco!! It's always nice to have the inside track on sales like this.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ordered a pair of Recon 1s, my sons birthday is soon and I need another good folder myself. Thanks Francisco!

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Yeah, that wasn't very nice of them. :mad: I've never been a fan of Lynn Thompson, but I do appreciate some of the knives they offer despite their company policy.

Recon 1s are tough! I'm sure you'll be happy with them. IMHO, they were a bit overpriced, compared to other folders in the same price range (most of which had better blade steel). I've been using mine for a while and I've got no complaints, sharp and strong.

6. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Nice. Thanks for the heads up Francisco.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Quoted for Truth!

I ordered a Recon Spear Point as well. At that price it would make a great gift or forum give away in the future.

As my good friend Francisco has patiently taught me, you can never have TOO MANY good knives. :p

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I've known Lynn Thompson for 20 years. He is a very strongly opinionated guy, but has never been out of line with me or anyone else that I have seen.

He did not seem to appreciate that I replace the rubber handles on his knives with Micarta, wood, or other materials, but he was not offended.

What is the CS company policy that is bad? I have sent a few knives that might have slipped through QC, and they have been replaced right away. And the CS parking lot sales are awesome.

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ordered a K4 neck knife and a Sax Machete.

10. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I was looking at the neck knife and the spear point machete but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Great deals.

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I don't know him personally, and I've heard that he's a nice guy. I've got no beef with him as a person. I'm just not too fond of his advertising and over the top claims. I think some of the tests he runs are a bit goofy.

It's just a subejective matter, and I don't let it cloud my judgement about CS knives. I've got around a dozen or so and have no complaints about any of them. Mr. Thompson has his knives made by good, reputable companies (the Carbon V line made by Camillus was awesome, I miss it!).

My customers seem to enjoy CS knives as well, and quite a few of them love the "Proof" DVDs and can't get enough of them. So I'll even admit that they actually help sales. However, I don't like his style.

I do agree on the rubber handles! My old faithful Master Hunter (Carbon V blade) is going to get some nice wood handles soon, I'm just waiting for my favourite maker's waiting list to thin down a bit.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I agree about the marketing. But it has been very effective for them! You used to be able to bring another makers knife into their shop and they would test it next to one of theirs. Not sure if they still do that. They also offer courses and instruction on the "use" of their knives, which I highly recommend. And in their defense I did try some of their tests on other knives and none of them survived. One of their Carbon V LTC Kukri is strapped on my ATV and in several years of use I have never needed to sharpen it. It is used to clear tree branches and chop smaller firewood, etc.

I have my original Master Hunter Carbon V that I put black a Micarta handle on. It has been my "go everywhere" belt knife for over 15 years. Also have a San Mai III Master Hunter, but have not had time to replace the rubber so it still lives in the box. My Carbon V goes rusty every year during Elk season due to the perpetual rain. That is the only flaw.

13. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

I own several cold steel products fron a wakazashi to a tomahawk and they have all been excellent in my opinion. They usually run the best specials around christmas time and sometimes you can get discontinued or older models for half if not less from special projects. My only complaint with CS is that they only offer one or two folders astetically pleasing for me to want to buy. I have a TI-Lite because its an awesomwe knife that looks great but thats about the only folder that they have that i like. Wish they would mak some more traditional looking blades in folders......id buy them

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The pair of Recon 1's I ordered came in last night and they look like really nice folders for the money. Probably keep one and give the other to my son for his birthday...

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Just got my K-4 Neck Knife. Here are a few pics. For $10 this thing is great. Now how to get the 18" machete that came with it in the house. LOL......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

I love Cold Steel knives.

I have a Carbon V TrailMaster that is my favorite knife.
    I've got a bunch more-a few throwers,a peacekeeper II,a Kopis and a Kukri machete......and I have given ColdSteel knives as gifts.

Great stuff.
    Thanks for the link.
    All I can do is drool tho-cash is short these days:(

Oh,well.

I'll go fondle my trailmaster.