cocking questioning

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bikerlbf406, Nov 26, 2011.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

On a double action only (DAO) semi-automatic pistol with an internal hammer. Do still have to slide the slide backwards to cock it the first time in order to fire? I'm used to always cocking them by pulling the slide backwards, however from what I read on a DAO you wouldn't have to as pulling the trigger will cock the hammer for you. So what is the right answer?

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You have to cycle the slide in order to cock the internal hammer

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Like most answers this one is "depends". You are correct that a true DOA totally is cocked with the trigger. A lot of guns now are not true DOA and you must use the slide.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I think that what you read means whenever you pull the trigger discharging a round the slide cycles cocking the striker everytime

5. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

The firearm I'm questioning about is my new SCCY CPX-2. It is supposed to be a true DAO and if i pull the trigger with no ammunition it it, I can see it engaging the hammer w/o cycling the slide first. So does this mean that I do not have to cycle the slide first to fire the first round out of it?

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Once you do that the first time will it do the same on the second try?

7. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

yes i pulled the trigger about 5 or 6 times without cycling the slide first....and it cocked and released the hammer each time.....since it was unloaded, the slide did not move any.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Hmmm, sounds like it has the DA of a revolver in a semi auto? I dont have any experience with a pistol like that. :-\

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"yes i pulled the trigger about 5 or 6 times without cycling the slide first....and it cocked and released the hammer each time.....since it was unloaded, the slide did not move any. "

That is a true DAO. The firing pin will strike with each pull of the trigger. In no gun will the pull of the trigger operate the slide.

10. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

OK, I thought and pretty much knew this what a true DAO, does that mean that I do not have to chamber a round like I would by pulling the slide back in order to fire a first shot? Also I have a Glock 22, I have heard that Glocks were double action then I heard they weren't. Do you have to pull the slide back to chamber a round in them to fire the first shot. I know they're not DAO though as dry firing it you can here hammer however it will not reset without pulling the slide back and releasing it, so I'm assuming its a DA/SA so does that mean I don't have to push the slide back to chamber the first round in it to fire? I know my Hi-point on the other hand is single action only and if you try dry firing it you can not hear the hammer moving and it says pulled in.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

GLOCKs are striker fired, not a true DAO.

And yes, you need to rack the slide to chamber the first round.

12. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

OK, So I have to rack the slide to chamber the first round in the Glock, but am I correct and don't have to do this on the SCCY as it is true DAO?

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No...DAO has nothing to do with loading a round from the magazine into the chamber, it only describes whether the trigger first cocks the hammer and then releases it, firing the round. If the chamber is empty the hammer will simply drop on an empty chamber. Every semi-auto pistol requires that the slide, or some other charging mechanism, be used to chamber a round.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You have to rack the slide for the first round in pretty much every (previously empty) semi-auto handgun that I'm aware of. Otherwise that round is just sitting in the magazine. Of course slapping a loaded mag into an empty gun with the slide locked back will often engage the slide (thus, chambering a round) as well.

Glocks are DAO. I believe all Hi-Points are DAO as well.

Do careful homework in breaking in your new gun. The Sccy's rep is about as spotty as it gets for any currently produced US firearm. It's something I would steer fellow shooters away from every time, but that doesn't have to mean yours is a dud. Hopefully you got a keeper and all will go well.

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Your kind of being confusing, or im the one confused.with a glock you have to rack the slide to chamber a round,this automatically cocks the striker. Then you just pull the trigger until your empty and the slide locks back.then you put in a new mag,release the slide and repeat. Ive never heard of a striker fired semi auto pistol with the DA like a revolver "meaning you can drop the striker with each pull of trigger with the gun empty without having to rack the slide each time"

16. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

OK Thank you very much

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

My pleasure...:)

18. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

In the SCCY I can dry fire multiple times without rackling the slide. I am unable to do this in either of my other pistols as I've said.

I know Sccy pistols have quite a few bad views, however I've done a lot of homework on them and every review is from the 1st gen CPX-1 modem. I have the 2nd gen CPX-2. The manual safety that everyone has problem with has been eliminated and is no longer on there, the mag release has been shaved down a little, and from everything I have heard is a big improvement over the older models produced which were known for problems. I'm hoping this is correct and I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow to check it out.

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Can you post a photo of the SCCY?

20. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Here's a pic of each side of it. Its the one on the bottom named Chic (I name my guns)

Attached Files: