Cocking Pistol With One Hand?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Jsnakehouse, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

EDIT BY MOD- for those that are just joining our show in progress- As he has explained in earlier threads, Jeff only has the use of one hand due to a stroke. Pay attention! Sorry, Jeff- please continue. C3

Hey guys,

As some of you might know from my old threads about using only one hand i had another question that maybe you all could help me out with. I have revolvers and they are great guns but i would like to get into the sliding pistols as well just to be able to use more types of pistols but i cant think of a way that i could cock them only using one hand while still being safe while at the range. I tried to cock my brothers with one hand but it was to tough to get the slide all the way back. So if you all have any ideas that would be great!!

Thanks,
    Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  2. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Cocking is when you pull the hammer back with your thumb.

Racking is when you pull the slide back with your hand.

Which do you mean?

3. spack762

spack762 New Member

If you read carefully, he's having a hard time with the slide.
    I've used the rear sight, if it's not a low mounr one, on my belt or on a pocket. I've heard you can use the ejection port in the same way. In a movie they held the gun between thier knees. Muzzle down:)

4. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

Sorry i meant Racking.

Thanks!
    Jeff

5. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

[quoteI've used the rear sight, if it's not a low mounr one, on my belt or on a pocket. I've heard you can use the ejection port in the same way. In a movie they held the gun between thier knees. Muzzle down][/quote]

that is a good idea but at a range im not sure how they would feel about me pointing the gun straight down towards my feet to rack it.

Thanks!
    Jeff

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Shoobee, good point- however, Jake has the use of only his right hand due to a stroke.

Jake- MOST of the ways I know of to rack and cock a semi with one hand would get you tossed off of most firing ranges- because the gun will not be pointed downrange while racking it.

There are somethings (as you well know by now) that REALLY go better with 2 hands (shoelaces being one). You may need a helper on the firing line. SOME auto mags need 2 hands to load- I have some 13 round Browning Hi-Power mags that are a bugger even with two hands.

However, if you have someone to get you started, you can shoot to slide lock, drop the empty, insert fresh mag, hit slide release, and continue to march. The only auto I can think of that is different are some of the very small auto pistols (Beretta) with the tip up barrels- most of those are not suited for target work.

7. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

c3shooter, that is a good point having someone there to do it for me, i usually go to the range with someone anyway. But for those times that i dont have someone I would like to if there is a way to do this myself!

I actually learned to tie my shoes with one hand, wasnt easy to learn but i can do it now!!

Thanks!,
    Jeff

8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I got that part. What I did not get is why would anyone want to rack a semi-auto pistol one handed? (Thanks C3 for the further info.)

I have seen Linda Hamilton rack a pump shotgun in Terminator one handed. Tried it myself and with my Mossberg 590 it doesnt work too good. You can blow your face off that way.

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Most shooting buddies are more than willing to help a friend. Just don't be afraid to ask one.

The pro's and con's of a semi-auto pistol vary with each one.

You should be able to use a semi-auto yourself for home defense well enough, if you get one that is double action and preferably also with an external hammer.

Attached Files:

10. Nch22000

Nch22000 New Member

I'm trying to think of a good way to do it and sounds like you will need help at least to start then change mags from slide lock. I did see a show where they modified a slide to help a guy who can't grip the slide hard enough to rack it.

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If I had to, I would use my bare feet to hold the weapon, and my free hand to rack it.

Thats only if I had to.

Lets say, a home invasion shoot out, I need to clear a jam, and one of my arms has been blasted away already by the perps.

12. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

what do you mean by that? also are most not made with a external Hammer?

Nch22000, that is interesting i guess i could try and find someone who could somehow custom make me one.

Thanks guys!
    Jeff

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Limitations

I understand working w limitations better than most. I think it was a NightHawk ad but they make an all steel rear sight that makes it easy to charge one handed. (lesson learned from 1986 Miami.)

Practice w snap caps until it is second nature. When you get to the range, tell the RO what you are doing, why your doing it and offer to demonstrate w snap caps. When he sees you are safe and just making the best of a bad situation - I hope he will give the benefit of the doubt.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The glocks and glock-knock-offs have internal hammers. You would definitely want to avoid those.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

With the use of only one hand maybe a good alternative would be to swap the auto for a revolver. The revolve is a time tested defense weapon and they are fun to shoot.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

That is what i am thinking; buy something reasonably sturdy and reasonably priced (ruger p95) and get a shop to weld the charging handle from an SKS on the slide. With something that large on the slide, you should be able to stand sideways, cross arms, (muzzle down range) and cock it on your other forearm. Ya think?

Of course, you would have to consider if that extra weight would require a spring change, and concealed carry might be......challenging.

17. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

Good things to think about!!. I do have revolvers already, they are fun to shoot and are great guns but i just would like to not be limited to just those!

I was just looking and i found a company called MasterPeace Arms and they make semi-auto with a side cocker i would call it on the side that i think might work. But definently not a concealed carry gun, but that really isnt what i am looking for right now.

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA30SST

Again, thank you guys!!
    Jeff

18. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Glock type guns are actually striker fired; there is no hammer on or in them anywhere.

19. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Insert "stiker" for "hammer" then.

I have little familiarity with the internal workings of a glock because I would never touch one.

I can only observe what they look like on the outside and since there is obviously no external hammer they would be out of the question, from my point of view.

20. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

This "weapon" looks pretty good for the application you have in mind, yes.

Gives you all the advantages of semi-auto firing with none of the drawbacks of a slide.

I am guessing this baby has an internal bolt, like an M-60 or 50 cal machine gun. Looks like it anyway.