cocked and locked

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rayssrr, Oct 23, 2011.

1. rayssrr

rayssrr New Member

While carrying you should be cocked and locked but should you leave it cocked and locked 24 7. Is that ok for the gun?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Being compressed within design specs does not damage a spring. Consider, if you will, that just about ALL striker fired pistols, semi auto rifles and shotguns ARE stored cocked.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is there anytime during the 24/7 that you are sure you will not need to use your gun for self defense?

The time you are sure you won't need your gun, unload it.

Otherwise, if it's loaded it should be in condition one!

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Mine are loaded, cocked & locked even when stored in my safe.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1

I have never practiced saying to a home invader, "Wait until I load my gun."

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe it was J.B. Wood, who I have the utmost respect for, spoke to that issue and to leaving magazines loaded for long periods of time. His conclusion was that it didn't hurt a thing. If I remember correctly he was talking about having a 1911 brought to him that had been in someones attic for 50 years with loaded mags. He found that the gun, the mags and the ammo were functional.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Is Keith Stone smooth?

[​IMG]

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Question... ive always been told that leaving a magazine loaded 24/7 is bad for the mag spring, therefore I cycle my magazines every other week. Have I been misinformed or am I doing something right?
    I carry my 1911 anytime I go out, but for home protection I always have my revolver at the ready in case I dont have the magazine loaded for this reason ive been told about.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You'll inflict more wear on the mag springs by loading and unloading them than leaving them full. The other reason I often leave carry guns with a round in the chamber (when not carrying) is that unloading/rechambering the same couple of rounds time and again can potentially compromise the seating of the bullet.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Some of these posts remind me of some western movies.
    "If you have 2 guns, only clean one at a time" I think that was "Gunfighters Moon" It might have been my Grandad.

11. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Then I guess ive been doing more bad then good. DOH! Often I wondered about the information I was given. I figured loading/unloading would weaken the spring but I also thought of having a loaded magazine with a compressed spring would cause it to stiffen into that position without flexing it once in a while.

Im glad I have you guys to turn to when I need to be edumacated :D

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't think my grandpa ever unloaded his mags for his Colt 1911, except for when it was fired. It was made in 1912 and had 2 mags, I think one was original to the gun, and the other was a vintage extra that he picked up.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ninja- out in the driveway is my beloved 1985 Ford F-150. The springs have been compressed and under load since the truck was built. Please note that truck is not bottomed out, springs are working just fine, thanks. :p

Just ragging on you- it is a common bit of incorrect info that you must give springs a rest. A properly made spring wears from flexing, not from holding in one position.

14. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Being that its a Ford.. im surprised it still moves at all. :p

but joking aside, im glad to know that now before causing any serious problems with my mags. Thankfully ive had no issues and im able to be properly informed before any malfunction.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

AWW COME ON!!!! 340,000 miles and still going strong!!!

Attached Files:

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Not like the Chevy in the background...

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My 1986 ford f150 4x4 has pulled alot of rocks. Oops sorry i ment chevys;)

18. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

My Ford exploder lived up to its name. It suffered 3rd degree burns from faulty wiring. I was able to salvage the rear tires for my '88 pathfinder. :D

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats a dang exploder though. There is no conparison in one of them to an 86 f150 heavey half ton short bed w a 351 super mod bored 20 over and a 8 speed factory Cat trans.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My dad just gave me a little 25 auto that he has had for 40+ yrs loaded. I know the thing is a late 50s model , Took it out today and it fired but did have some jaming issues on chambering the next round , I would have to say it was because I dont ever think it has been cleaned or lubed in its life , After finally finding out how to field strip it its getting a good douching , The mag spring was still plenty tight even after being loaded for 40+ yrs , Im going to say its not going to hurt anything to leave it loaded and ready for action , I know I do on my S&W .40 . I dont have time to load a magazine when a intruder decides to stop in for a visit