Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
As has been eluded to earlier in the thread, IF (and that's a big IF) you are willing to train with your firearm, you can reload a double very quickly. You can get either a bandolier that holds extra shells or a side saddle that holds extra shells on the buttstock. After firing the two rounds in the gun, you can have the empties out and two more in the pipe in no time flat, again, if you are practiced. Cowboy action shooters do it all the time. The can fire 6 shots with a double shotgun in about as many seconds.
True story Bro, I'm not betting my life on TWO shots

·
Registered
319 Posts
A Rossi Coach Gun (open choke, internal hammers) sits by my bed, unloaded. Bandolier of 12ga #5 turkey loads ( 1 5/8oz @ 1550 fps) is nearby.

I shoot CAS and use this shotgun regularly. 2 shots, extremely fast. Quick follow ups.

Wife shoots it, proficiently.

I work nights. She can quietly shelter in place, while the 2 100# bulldogs investigate.

External hammers would not be my first choice for SD.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I like the external hammers on a home defense shotgun. You don't have to worry about an accidental discharge, and the springs last longer if its not cocked all the time siting next to the bed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This what the inside of the hammer assy looks like:

I'm thinking the long "hair-clip-looking" thing on the left is the main spring? You have to be forceful to pull the hammers back and I've read where folks have replaced their springs with light ones. Have no idea where I'd get a lighter spring or if one is really necessary. I can pull them back, just have to be deliberate about it.

Another diagram showing the innards. I need to learn to read Russian!!! I'm finding a number of things online but they're all in Russian:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Would you guys go thru the trouble of rebluing one of these old guns? Mine doesn't necessarily "need" it but I wouldn't mind doing it just to see how it comes out. I've reblued a couple of guns in the past so that's not an issue. I can't imagine these being such a collector's piece that it would hurt the value of it.

Also, thinking about putting a laser mounted on the barrels, any ideas?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Would you guys go thru the trouble of rebluing one of these old guns? Mine doesn't necessarily "need" it but I wouldn't mind doing it just to see how it comes out. I've reblued a couple of guns in the past so that's not an issue. I can't imagine these being such a collector's piece that it would hurt the value of it.

Also, thinking about putting a laser mounted on the barrels, any ideas?

If you WANT to blue it, go for it.

No "collecter" value, but some prefer the "old, used look". Probably just asany prefer the new, bright blue. The cost is lost. Reblue will not add much, if any, value.

·
Premium Member
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
@Dubar

If you see any Stoeger Coach Guns for sale online, PM me. I would like to find a 20 gauge.
Seems I can find none in stock any where at the moment.

·
Premium Member
14,660 Posts
I have a Stoeger 20 and would like to have a 410. To mount a laser you would have to attach a rail to the filler on the underside of the barrels. Look at the Stoeger Double Defense.

·
Premium Member
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Nothing but 12 and 410 so far :confused:

PM sent
Thank You Dubar!!!!!! Got your PM showing Kentucky Gun Co had some in. Ordered the double trigger 20 gauge for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. FFL was already on their approved list. Not the lowest priced one, but is open when I need him to be.(y)

·
Premium Member
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Nothing but 12 and 410 so far :confused:

PM sent
Also, about 10 minutes after I bought it, the web page then showed out of stock. Whew! Hope they didn't over sell this thing. I shall see I guess.
Thanks again Dubar!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also, about 10 minutes after I bought it, the web page then showed out of stock. Whew! Hope they didn't over sell this thing. I shall see I guess.
Thanks again Dubar!!!!
OO, You've pointed me in the right direction a few times so I thought I would return the favor!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts