Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion on these double barrel 18.5 inch barrel 12ga shotguns for home defense close up and personal?
Been looking at these for a bit now. But a bit uncertain on the pricing. Any helpful info or opinions will be appreciated.
Yes, I already have rifles and pistols in most rooms. So, leave these out for now. I already have them.

Art Electric blue Rectangle Font Event

Idiophone Furniture Chair Musical instrument Xylophone

Thank You for any help you may have!

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Might be a bit hard to find replacement parts for. Reminds me of those carried by Italian bodyguards in "The Godfather" while Michael was hiding out overseas. There are better choices for a gunfight, new, for less money. And, if/when something doesn't work, factory warranties will cover you. I vote "pass".

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might be a bit hard to find replacement parts for. Reminds me of those carried by Italian bodyguards in "The Godfather" while Michael was hiding out overseas. There are better choices for a gunfight, new, for less money. And, if/when something doesn't work, factory warranties will cover you. I vote "pass".
I grew up with double barrels. Like them. Are there some new coach guns even available John?

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
My point is simply that there are better choices for a gunfight than a 2-shot double with extractors. Even a 2-shot double with ejectors would be better. We're talkin' worst case scenarios - good quality 5-shot pumps under $400 new are out there. Multiple assailants, low/no light, dynamic entry, surprise, etc. - not playtime at a range. Even severely wounded assilants (read fatal wounds) are frequently able to stay in the fight. For serious "defense" you need all the advantage.

Last-ditch wallhanger? Perhaps. Battling a couple of hopped-up, inner-city "gangstas" armed with banana-clipped AK's? Not my first choice.

These are not new shotguns. They're used, not very popular hunting guns from Europe OWS has cut down trying to move them. They're fun, cool, and useful for some things. Defending the family huddled behind a bed? 2 chances to stop the threat. That's it. Reloading ? very unlikely. Great threatening gun, but not a serious choice for personal combat.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Waiting to hear from an expert in real world home defense scenario. In the meantime you will get lots of expert opinion from those who are legends in their own mind.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Remington special purpose marine or Mossberg 500 Mariner were 2 shotguns that I always thought would make great home defense guns. I do like the look and feel of a classic side by side but it is true , ability to reload and reliability are issues of concern. I have a beat up 80’s wing master that was rained on snowed on and dropped and it has never had an issue . Mossberg I didn’t care for back then but now I would take one in a heartbeat. Options are almost limitless these days.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my Mossberg 20ga (top of the 2 shown) - this sits nightstand duty for me (a 2 shot shotgun for home defense ? I wouldn't)

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my Mossberg 20ga (top of the 2 shown) - this sits nightstand duty for me (a 2 shot shotgun for home defense ? I wouldn't)

Neither are a double barrel like I inquired about. I am familiar with many of the tacticool shotguns out there.
I already have a 870 and an 1100 each with multiple barrels I can mount. If I feel like there are multiple threats around, well, the wife has a few AR's to pick up. Including one in 350 Legend with 180 gr soft points loaded.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a double barreled coach gun setting next to my bed, been there for many years ready to be used if needed.
Ah Hah! I see I'm not the only one thinking one may be worth while today. :)

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
So then you just want to buy a new side by side then go fer it. I really don’t see a home defense situation where a double barrel 12 or 20 gauge won’t fix the problem. There aren’t too many times when I’m in a gun shop that I don’t drool over the couple of doubles sitting on the shelf. Maybe next time I’ll grab one myself .

·
Registered
995 Posts
Home defense? No. Hunting squirrels sure.
But i like doubles just for fun and hunting.

If you want one go for it. You already mentioned you have serious home defense weapons.

·
Premium Member
14,627 Posts
A new Stoeger coach gun is in the $450 range. Zastava has a good rep and is currently building one of the best AK's on the market but these are refurbished guns. That means they have been repaired and from the ad some extensively. Normal choke is IC right and Mod left. These have been reamed to cylinder which works very well with 00 buck. 00 buck deforms in a choke and slugs can lose velocity at the restriction. A cylinder 12 will pattern 6"-7" depending on ammo used. Top quality buffered shells will be tighter. Federal Flite Control will be very tight.
Personally I would pass as quality and extent of repair is questionable. Sounds like they were abused.
I kept a 20 gauge in the RV. Crossing state lines this was the safest legally. Almost no one will question a double. Fast to load and unload with a selection of shells. Bear country was Brenneke slugs. SD #3 buck. They are 2 very fast shots from a very short gun. No action length added on. Watch cowboy shooters in action to see how they are capable of performing. Mine patterns 5" and 4" at 7 yards with #3 buck. I would have no problem using it for SD in the house but I currently keep a 410 pump for that.

Reactions: Seedy Character

·
Premium Member
14,627 Posts
Everyone has an opinion and mine is the pistol grip no stock shotguns are the worst possible HD firearm unless they are equipped with a laser that you are willing to bet your life on and you have a lot of practice. Hollywood is a myth. I will take 2 hits over 6 misses anytime.

Reactions: RKB and Oldoutlaw

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dad keeps a rossi overland 12ga side by side next to his bed and has since I was a young kid, I keep a remington tac 14 and whatever firearm I carried that day next to my bed.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Waiting to hear from an expert in real world home defense scenario. In the meantime you will get lots of expert opinion from those who are legends in their own mind.
Good luck because it's all just rhetoric until you hear from someone that's killed several people in homes with several different kinds of firearms. THAT is an expert with REAL WORLD experience. I doubt if that person is on this forum.

"Well trained" trainers for home defense are just that until they've killed people in homes then they become experienced trainers.

Mossberg makes what used to be inexpensive but really good quality (best?) defensive pumps and autos. Don't know about the autos but the pumps have a lifetime warranty. There is one of those, an AR, a Mini-14, a 38 spcl, and .357 mag. nearby in my main house and the Mini and at least 9mm pistol and a PCC goes with me to my "not main house". I feel covered pretty well and they will all do that job. Oh, and I'm not a legend in my own mind. Just a business owner, husband, father yada yada.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are just looking for a good excuse to buy something you just like ! :p
I too have a soft spot for doubles . :)
The best reason in my mind to buy something is ........ because I like it !
Not that I buy much stuff ! :rolleyes:
Buy much stuff, buy much stuff?
Art Smile Electric blue Fashion accessory Macro photography
Shame on you, you hoarder you. You have been putting up new
pole buildings for your stuff.
Course I would have to also if I bought entire estates before they even get to an auction.
You got as much equipment on top of it to make a tree service or power company a bit jealous.
Repent now you hoarder.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts