coach gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by TooStrongTerry, May 4, 2012.

1. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

I'm looking to get a 12 ga coach gun...preferably stoeger...for really just a working gun. Plinking some small game and HD. Anyone have one? Any recommended ones other than stoeger? Not rly looking to spend more than 4-500...thanks guys!

@TooStrongTerry

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you did not care about chokes you could buy a used double and cut it down. You can often buy used doubles for $200

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You may want to look into the legality of that idea. And don't forget about minimum length requirements.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  4. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I have a stoeger 12 ga coach. Fun insta-grin shooting :D If you keep your eyes open, a nice one can be had for pretty cheap. Keep checking on gunbroker, they tend to show up in spurts. I won mine there last year and paid $310.00 with shipping.

5. TooStrongTerry

I don't rly care about chokes...but I heard that the left barrel shoots at point of aim and the right barrel varies (although I hear if u aim down right barrel instead of rib it makes up for it[becuz each barrel has diff choke]) and me being lefty that would be easy for me to do...but idk if I can get used to the double triggers...any insight?

@TooStrongTerry

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

you heard wrong all depends on how the barrels are regulated(big fancy word for how thay are set to hit at the same point)only way to tell is on a pattern plate or board

7. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I have a Stoger with chokes and the double trigger the only way I can use both triggers well is to use two fingers. Sounds odd but it works for me. I love this 12 gauge.

image-2470319045.jpg
    I didn't like the glossy furniture so I stripped it and refinished it in a satin finish.

play the victim, be the victim

8. TooStrongTerry

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Every double made has to be patterned on a target to see how each barrel shoots. No one can look at a double and make an accurate blanket statement on that model or brand of shotgun. tonydewar is 100% correct.

10. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

stoeger

i have an nickel stoeger coachgun supreme in 20g . i think they are great guns for the price range. i handled a few other coach guns they felt very cheap in comparison to the stoeger and normally cost more. cimaron

crazy part is....the FIRST time i shot it, the stock exploded into 4-5 peices! :eek: i was really mad, but i sent it back to steoger and got it back with a new stock in about a week and a half. i was really happy with CS in this instance, and its held up great since.

what is disappointing is that i can't find a gun manufacturer in america that makes a coach gun. the coutry that developed and once used the coach gun in the rich history of the wild west.....and now you can only find foreign made coach guns? :confused:

the break on the stoeger crazy stiff. of course, that works for my needs. but if your need is quick use (cowboy action, etc), i think they normally require some smithing or extended use for break in.

i would recommend the stoeger coach gun. good gun and good company imo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Haunt the gun shows, and you should be able to find an 18 inch barrel Savage 311A, cylinder/cylinder for under $250 in excellent condition.

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"Haunt the gun shows, and you should be able to find an 18 inch barrel Savage 311A, cylinder/cylinder for under $250 in excellent condition. "
    I see two 12 ga today for $150 each( they had regular barrels though 26" or 28")

13. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

I have a Stoeger coach gun in 12ga. They break in with use. Mine is now to the point that you can hold it out with one hand, turn the lock, and the barrels will just fall open. You can scour gun shows and such but brand new they're barely over $300.

The right barrel is imp. cyl. The left barrel is modified. Mine has 2 triggers. First trigger fires the right barrel; second trigger fires the left. Both can be fired simultaneously.

Tons o' fun! Serious firepower. I have no complaints.

14. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Hawkguy thats a sweet looking rig there. Did you put the broken stock onto that levergun at the top of the pic? :p

Badshot

15. locutus

Buy one and have a licensed gunsmith cut it to minimum legal length.

(That way if there's any legal question, the work was done by a licensed gunsmith)

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Deleted byChandler

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Stoeger makes some damn good shotguns

18. locutus

Stoeger does have some excellent shotguns.