CMP service grade M1 Garands

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BigRedUSMC, Aug 19, 2013.

1. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

Hey forum, I'm really down to my last night before I order a CMP M1 Garand. I think I'm going to take a chance and order a H&R service grade. I'd really love to see any grade pictures of your M1's before I make my final order and any input is much appreciated. I'm hoping to get a new stock model but I think that might be pretty rare. I found these three images online as to exactly what I'm looking for so if I'm in the wrong grade let me know. Semper Fi

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Wrong grade.
    You need to be more in atleast the $800 range.
    Service grade is generally a gun you'll have no issue shooting. It is not going to be perfect or collector grade.
    Whatever you buy will be worth the money. In this area outside of cmp you typically can't do better than a beat to sh!t garand for around $1000 plus.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

3. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

They're are videos on youtube of service garands of that quality, I think they got extremely lucky. Anyone have a service garand pic to throw up of their personal one?

4. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

A friend of mine was up at Camp Perry a couple of weeks ago and told me that the M1's prices were going out of sight. Service grades were over a G and the better grades were from 1400 up. Springfield had new M1A's for not much difference in price. They had plenty of M1's available, but not at that price for me.

5. Orlando

Orlando New Member

Your friend is very confused
    Service Grades are $625, same as they have been for years
    The M1D Snipers start at $900 and go up to $1500
    RM1HRASSP rifles are collectors all correct except for commercial stock $955
    Special Grades are all rebuilt rifles by CMP, completely reparked with new stocks and new commercial barrels $995
    They stores are out of $625 Service Grades and must be mail ordered

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. yazul42

I'll check with him again tomorrow at work to get details and the business, whether they were that cost for general public or what it was through CMP.
    He was up for the matches in July and he could not believe the price jump.

7. Orlando

Orlando New Member

Prices are all in black and white on the CMP sales page. I to frequint the North Store
    I'm sure he saw the more expensive rifles I mentioned above. During the Matches the shelves were pretty much bare
    As I stated earlier $625 Service Grades must be mail ordered, there are none in the stores

8. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Those pictures look like at least Service Grade Special - the stock and butt plate are brand new. But according to the CMP website, they may put new CMP stocks on the Service Grades now. http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

Service Grade and Service Grade Specials are both good shooters. There's endless debate about which to get. The SGSpecial should be almost a new barrel (see the specs on the website). If you're just shooting for fun, get the SG and spend the extra money on surplus Greek ammo. If you think you're going to shoot CMP matches or NRA High Power, get the SGS if you can afford it.

This site will provide most everything you need to know about a Garand http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/index.html

This is my HRA Service Grade Special with a barrel from 1954. Throat is 2 and muzzle is 1. Shoots better than I ever will.
    [​IMG]

9. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

I've heard SG special can shoot more new ammo and the regular SG can't. That true?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

To that question I'm not the expert. But, the SGS will have less rounds through it and very likely will have the less worn throat and muzzle. So if you think along those lines, the SGS should last much longer. For general civilian shooting, I'd think you'd be hard pressed to kill an M1 barrel. If your shooting matches, you would likely notice a difference between a SG and a SGS over time. When you order from CMP, I think you can add a note asking for a maximum measurement on the throat and muzzle. It might take a little longer for them to find that one. Right now I think delivery times on SG are about 2 months.

Now by if 'new' ammo you're talking current manufactured ammo and not mil surp, that's a whole different topic. CMP sells some commercial stuff at good prices. Some off the shelves at your local store/website are made specifically for your M1. Others you may need to make some modifications to the gas cylinder due to increased pressures in the commercial loads as I understand it. But why spend that kind of money when mil surp works great!! I shoot the mil surp (good stuff), never shot commercial, but hope to start reloading over the winter to get some better accuracy for matches. For 100-200 yards, the mil surp will do you fine for local match accuracy. It can easily take you out 600 or more yards for general bad guy/target shooting.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/askarmorercommercialammo.htm

http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:shooting-commerci

11. Orlando

Orlando New Member

IMO the you will not notice any difference in accuracy between either rifle. The biggest difference in accuacy is the guy pulling the trigger
    The normal shooter will never wear out a barrel in a standard service grade
    Both grades use the same ammo, if you want to use commercial ammo you need to use a adjustable gas screw in either rifle

12. yazul42

You were correct Orlando,, he said the only ones on the racks were RM1 Specials,, I believe was the connotation and on up from about 950 up. His comment was that they did not appear to be any better than the standard service grades which I think he said were a 2 to 3 month wait. I also remember him saying that rack and field grades were sold out at this time and their availability is not good at this time. Sorry for my error, not his.

13. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

Sent in my order form for a HRA service grade this morning. Put a sticky note in there asking for a new production stock and the "black" reparkerization. Fingers crossed I hope they come through for me. Lol I put a sticky note on the first page, the order form and even wrote it in under the description in case the stickies get tossed so I think I'm covered for someone seeing it

14. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

You'll love it! Don't forget to order a few cases of the Greek surplus ammo if you didn't already. And we need a range report once you get it :)

15. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

I probably should order ammo from them Monday. It's kind of tough to find and impossible to find for cheaper and as soon as I get her ill definitely give a range report.

16. Orlando

Orlando New Member

You can order ammo online through E-Store

17. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Took my 14 y/o and his friend to the range today. They've never shot other than .22lr but wanted to try the M1 (along with a few other war horses). Only thing the friend said was "I love it. I want one." Welcome to the club I told him. This target was at 50 yrds zeroed for me, not them. They just walked away with smiles.

Attached Files:

18. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

Awesome story, thanks for sharing. I really can't wait for mine to come in and you better believe ill be posting pictures the minute it comes in. And now the waiting game