Firearms Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My kit came in the other day. It was abt $180 delivered, including 3 25 round mags.
First impression. Looks to be quality build. The magazines also appear to be well built and solid. The apparatus is stainless steel. Machining and welds appear well done. In the first couple pics you cane see that it has a chamber adapter for your .223/5.56 barrel. Then a chamber for the .22lr in a self contained bolt and recoil system. It does not interact with the AR buffer system.

I loaded two magazines to 22 rounds as much chatter on the net say to download the mags. You can absolutely tell that the spring feels over compressed beginning at 21 or 22 rounds in to the "25" round magazine.
I ran 36grn plated HP win .22lr circa 2007. Rated at 1280fps. The AR is running a carbine length gas system.
I did lube the conversion as instructed.
First round failed to cock the hammer. Charged the weapon manually. No firther ftf, fte, etc. For two magazines. At 25 yards standing free hand with iron sights, abt 6 inch group. A little low as expected. The spread was most definitely me, not the gun.

Next, i loaded all three mags. One with 25 rounds. The first 5 rounds from that mag were not happy. Now, that is a jam!

The remaining 20 in that mag and two other mags loaded with 20 each fired with only one failure. That was a fail to cock the hammer and reset trigger. It did feed the round though. Longer distance than 25 yards, very happy. Absolutely fine for plinking clays, pop cans, etc. Out to 50 yards+ .
I didnt get a chance to stretch it out, as this was on my lunch break.
So, after abt 125 rounds, it was not really that dirty, suprising. I did shoot a mag of 5.56 to clear the gas port and tube. (CMMG recommends shooting 1 round)

Overall, i am happy with this. Accuracy is spot on. (Remember this is a plinker, maybe okay for small game, not a target system)
Mechanically, i was happy too. I think some break in might help, but not overly unreliable out of the box. After one session, i do agree with downloading the mags. I am gonna say to 20.
Also, was absolutely hearing safe to me. I ran probably 75 rounds without ear pro. No worries. Obviously, i use and recommend ear pro most always, but its good to know. Some .22lr firearms are very loud. This system isn't.
Very happy. Good buy.
Hope this report helps !

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great report ! I don't have an AR15 because my son-in-law has 5 of them and an AK and plenty of ammo, so if I need one I'm sure I can get my hands on one.

He did just receive a CMMG 22 conversion kit this past week and I plan to go with him to shoot it soon. I think you got a better deal than he did. He ordered his from Brownell's and originally ordered the wrong one but Brownell's was great to deal with and quick. They sent a paid shipping container, put money back in his account within a couple of days of receiving it, and shipped him the correct one which he receives just a few days later. I've always heard bad things about their customer service, but they were on top of this thing.

So, we just have to get out and shoot it now. I've never shot an AR so I'm really looking forward to it. He is aware of the need to download the mags at least for a while, and is ordering a thing to block gas blowback through the charging handle that I have seen people have a problem with.

Have fun with it and let us know if you have any issues or post any pictures of targets that you are potentially proud of !

Good luck and good shooting !

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought the CMMG ARC-22 conversion with three 25 round mags in February but never got around to using it. I got it from Primary Arms for $199. It's still out of stock at most places.
This thread makes me want to give it a try on my new steel targets as soon as this crazy heat wave passes.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back out to range today. Sorry, no pics. Not shooting well today, and then i got in a hurry and messed with my scope. 😫🤦‍♂️
Anyhoo... did want to report that today i shot out of a mid length gassed 16" barreled AR, as opposed to a carbine length gs as the other day . 100 rounds, 1 stovepipe. Zero other failures. Also very quiet on this AR.
One thing i plan on doing (maybe this weekend if i get the time) is chrono'ing the rounds and comparing to those rounds out of a standard .22lr.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone is interested. Dack Outdoors has the kit with 3 mags for $167 . That's a good deal.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update:
Finally put this kit up with the chrono.
Firing Remington thunderbolts.
Billed as 1255fps at the muzzle.
Fired from:
10-22 with 16" barrel
PSA AR15 with 16" barrel
I chrono'd just 5 rounds each, but gives us an idea.
The 10-22 average was 1255fps on the nose.
The AR15 average came in at 1212fps.
40fps slower.

2nd observation. The magazines. After loading maybe 1/2 dozen times each, they are binding at about 18 rounds (right where the bend in the mag is).
I disassembled and cleaned. Lubed one with an oil based lube, one with graphite.
As you might expect, the graphite seems to be doing better.
I'll update again after a few more loads.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about accuracy? I've wondered about the twist rate difference.
I'd say 2" + at 25. It's definitely a plinker. Pop cans at 50 or even a 100 are possible, not guaranteed. Thats iron sights.
I dont have a dedicated AR for the kit, so i dont wanna mess with my sights or glass.
It does group well. No flyers , keyholing or anything like that. The AR was a 1:7 twist.

·
Premium Member
S&W 637-2, M&P sheild 9mm
12,551 Posts
If you have/ could find some aguila 60 grain sniper subsonic rounds for it, they could make for some interesting groups. In theory at least, they would group better as the bullet weight would match the twist rate. Still not bad grouping for iron sights by my standards.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you have/ could find some aguila 60 grain sniper subsonic rounds for it, they could make for some interesting groups. In theory at least, they would group better as the bullet weight would match the twist rate. Still not bad grouping for iron sights by my standards.
That's an interesting thought. I might habe to find some and see what happens. I'll say this, it is definitely hearing safe with supersonics, at least in the 1200 to 1400 fps range.
I wonder how quiet the subs would be?

·
Premium Member
S&W 637-2, M&P sheild 9mm
12,551 Posts
They are very quiet in my microgroove Marlin bolt action. They start to keyhole around 75 yards or so, but the raccoon didn't know the difference at that range. I shot them in a Ruger 10-22 many years ago, they were hitting the paper sideways at short range. Green Mountain makes or at least used to make a 10-22 barrel with a slower twist just for that load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts