Clothing opinions: Blend in or Stick out???

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by thefarmboy21, Dec 29, 2012.

1. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

This may or may not turn into a great debate and have many diverse opinions....and I hope it does!

When I took my class, we were told we should dress as to just "blend in" and not dress in shooting vests and other clothing that basically says "I'm packing some heat!" and that seems to be the general consensus. HOWEVER when I sat in on my wife's class the instructor was a retired lawman (city cop, sheriff, Federal agent, and swat) and still teaches law enforcement at a college and does all the county's law enforcement gun range training etc. He told he class that they should if anything make it noticeable they were carrying. For example: wear the vests with magazine pockets, tight pants that imprint, even a loose jacket that if the wind catches it shows your piece gleaming in the sunlight. He said that people are more likely to steer clear of anyone they think have a gun. SOOO.......what do you all think.

Why blend in??? Why stick out???

I'm just curious. I mean we've all seen the way people look at a guy open carrying a big .44 on his hip. I personally conceal mine very well (the law is concealed carry I guess) but to be honest I'd feel more comfortable if my wife was alone if I though everyone knew she had a .38 on her. So what do you think?

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Wow that is such a tough question in very situanionally dependent.
    It is someitmes better to deter a robbery and not have to answer 12... than it is to successfully fight on off.

i think it would strongly depend on your neighborhood. the local atrmosphere and your own physical appearance.
    I'll have to do some thinking on that.

3. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

I know...I had never though much about it until I sat in on my wife's class. It really go me thinking.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It also depends on your state. some its illegal to "print".

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I say blend in and be unseen ... in all environments :cool:

as mentioned "printing" can be considered brandishing and is illegal in a lot of places. At the very least it may get you unwanted attention from a LEO ... at the worst ... shot :cool:

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I blend. Except for my shoes.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

yours have those flashing lights in them don't they :eek: ... don't lie! :cool:

:p

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Y advertise? It makes many nervous and gives away your little secret. A reason CCW works so well is the element of surprise. It is like supermarket prices. That's right!

Supermarkets make little money on what they sell per piece. They have HUGE turnover of inventory so they make a little on a lot. Y not make A LOT on a lot? They can't. The market observes what they're doing... Enough homemakers watch prices and cut coupons, albeit the vast minority, that ripping off customers would put offending sellers out of business very quickly. It is the same for CCW...

U don't know who is or isn't armed, but there's a chance now where there wasn't before that someone is, and if a felon thinks he will always act with impunity, well, those days are gone and his may be numbered. Bad luck on his part has severe consequences and he can't take that chance so readily anymore. Except in a Gun Free Zone of course.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

For me concealed means concealed. If I wanted people to know I would open carry.

10. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

My thoughts are everyone will know I'm carrying when they see the muzzle flash. First option or opportunity leave. Second, deescalate or diffuse. Given no other choice, if the situation offers no other option....

11. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

Ny is concealed only no open carry in public any infringement can get it revoked I'm assuming that means printing or any other from of brandishing. Lmk if I'm wrong.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Wow do people over analyze this whole gun thing.

It's simple: act like an adult, be responsible, dress as desired to be comfortable and/or professional, and stop over thinking it, because nobody else is paying attention to you or your wear.

If you want to dress like gi Joe that's on you and you should probably see a shrink or join a cult. If you want to carry a gun, do so hoping you'll never need it and acting the same, but being prepared for the case that you might.

And don't worry about this "printing" BS, nobody is looking, and all it looks like is a bulge, like keys or a cell phone. More over analyzing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I see your point but I guess people that do carry are conscious of their weapon being there.

I have realized that most people these days are distracted and dont pay close attention.

I dont remember were but I read that a cop would stop by a gas station regularly and the lady at the counter became friends with him. One evening while he was off duty he walked into the station while it was being being held up. The lady yelled your a cop do something and by the time he drew his gun he was shot.

The moral of the story is that it is best hide the fact that you have a gun...

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

That story has absolutely nothing to do with the idea of dressing one way or another or this idiotic idea of printing.

If it's a true story, the way you interpret it, the clerk knew him as a cop, squad car and uniform, not because of where his gun was our how visible.

Don't talk yourself into a situation or out of carrying.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IIRC, concealed means, errr, concealed? :rolleyes:

i kind oflike the idea of just dressing as you always do. like what you normally wore before you carried. just a thought.

16. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I agree with everything your saying. That story doesn't apply directly, but the op had said that his wifes instructer told her to advertise, my point is its better if no one knows. Not that the cop would have had a choice. Point is dress normal and you will be fine.

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Poor copper, wrong place wrong time.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, IF I were law enforcement, I would want to "advertise" I am.
    Because I'm not, I prefer to "blend" in.

The less they know what I'm carrying, the more likely surprise is on my side.

19. tCan

tCan Active Member

I think that cop knows what he's talking about. Even if you don't have a gun, and you're being followed, you can save yourself by burying a hand deep inside your jacket or flaring your shirt tail. If that doesn't work, you should definitely tell them you have a gun in no uncertain terms. And you should threaten to use it.

Words wont make a murderer any less a murderer, they've already accepted the ultimate punishment) but the threat of death can certainly make a robber turn tail.

20. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Dress has more to do with locality and function than anything else, not a good idea to overdress or under-dress for any occasion your gonna be in the public packing heat. Like wearing Woodland pattern in a dessert, just makes you an obvious target! Wearing a 3 piece suit hunting doesnt work so well either (unless its overalls, hat and coat! Stealth is more effective than bling, If you stand out in a crowd, you will likely be the first to gain notice from a shooter, better off blending and being prepared to react than defend.

Nothing sillier than seeing someone walk through the mall in full tacticool gear when the only turkeys to shoot are other shoppers, if you think it looks cool, your probably way wrong!