closet style safes

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by satajet, Sep 20, 2012.

1. satajet

satajet New Member

Im looking into installing or building a good reliable safe to store weapons/ammo and supplies for any unforseen event...any ideas ?

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

When you say closet do you mean a safe that can fit into a closet or one that will be built into the wall of the closet?

3. satajet

satajet New Member

I have a closet which i would like to turn into a safe...the whole closet into a safe.

4. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Why don't you just build a false wall in the back or side of the closet. That way nobody knows its there.

5. satajet

satajet New Member

That is a great plan...in fact that IS the plan...i need info which provides an established materals list... Satajet.

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Um ok, u said safe, which implies a fortified or locked steel box.

7. satajet

satajet New Member

Basicly you are correct but i want the best of both combined. Sorry i didnt make myself clearer. I want something hard to find and even harder to get at...

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a standard gun safe and fitted it tightly into a closet where the sides can't be attacked without tearing out walls and plywood. A built-in stealthy safe, will work fine, if you can figure out how to make doors that work for you, but don't give the "secret" storage away.

I will say this though, I was given a safe, of better quality than most gun safes, because the owners had lost the combination years ago. I opened it in a matter of minutes, and with very little trouble, with a Sawzall. The average gun safe will defeat the common crack-head looking for something to steal and pawn, but it won't defeat a serious thief.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Disguising a safe or vault is a highly effective way of keeping your stuff away from bad guys. A buddy of mine has a safe in his shop that looks like a high voltage power supply, complete with warning stickers that say "HIGH VOLTAGE" and "600 VOLTS", the lock tumbler is inside a big knife-switch box with a padlock on it mounted to the door.

I want to build a walk-in vault someday that has a bookshelf or maybe a cabinet in front of it that you walk through to get inside. Ideally this would be built into the hillside or a basement wall so it is underground (I don't have a basement or a wall up against an embankment though, which makes my idea totally fantasy at this point in time). That would be totally cool!

10. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

Anything that is as secure as a commercial safe would be very expensive to build.You would be better off buying a safe of a size that will fit, and then building that into the wall and hiding it.

11. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Well, I already have a bank vault door. The rest I can scrap together over time. ;).

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Whatever you do, bolt it down. Having a safe that isn't secured doesn't do you much good as any would be thieves will just carry or dolly your safe out and work on getting it open on thier own time.

A friend of mine recently built a new unattached garage next to his house. When the floor was poured he poured a thicker section, 3'x3'x12". He anchored his safe down with 6" long bolts.

14. satajet

satajet New Member

Some great responses...many things to consider...Thanks guys. Satajet.

15. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Make false wall how you see fit. Make the wall out of something that conceals cracks, options include but not limited to, wood paneling, some type of tile or faux stone/brick, or make a decorative trim that will cover the gap. Install hinged that are on the inside of this wall. Install one of those cabinet latches that opens when you push it inwards.

I hope my crummy description works. I've got plans designed, not only to hide a safe, but to conceal an in house escape route. It looks real good in design...

16. satajet

satajet New Member

Not crummy a'tall. Every bit O brain matter belps. The cabinet style hinge is yet another idea i hadent yet considered...Im a firm believer in "measure twice-cut once"concept.. with all this great input i cant help but save time and money...which provides for either more bells n whistles or even a new wheapon on the range. Satajet.