Closed on my first home today!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bigbomar4, Apr 4, 2013.

1. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

You guys got any advise for a first time home owner?

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Everything cost's twice as much as you think. Each project takes four times longer. If a contractor even smells a dollar bill, he'll charge you 100.

Do each project right, don't do them twice. You will never get anything more for your house in the sale than the guy that uses cheap materials.

Do every project towards an eye of will someone else buy this.

Put money into things that make a real difference.

Good luck!

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Pay the mortgage when you get paid. Weekly, biweekly, monthly, whatever. The sooner you pay, the sooner you pay it off.

4. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Remember, credit cards are for what you NEED and not for what you want. There's a difference between NEEDING to buy a hot water heater before payday and buying a hot tub on one just because you WANT it.

Pure Old fart advice....nothing more.

5. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Make a half a monthly payment every two weeks it will make a huge difference.

6. Fatso

Fatso New Member

Take your time and do it right. It's your house, you'll have to live with the results. Don't let small stuff go, it could turn into big stuff. Pay bi weekly etc. A lot of good advice on here already. Most of all defend it!

7. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I use my credit card about once every 3 months just to make sure the mag stripe still works and then I pay it off. It is only there in case of an emergency.

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Landscaping is the easiest and usually the least expensive way to improve the value...

Congrats on the home!!! :D

9. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Any time you call about anything for your house (gas, electric, water co., etc) always write down the date and the name of who you spoke with. Save receipts for all large purchases and fix up your house to be nice for you. Don't be like most people and wait to fix it up until it's time to sell it.

10. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

All great advise here.. Enjoy owning a home, it IS the single most important part of a complex American dream IMO, and congratulations!!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  11. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Thank you everyone. It all sounds like very good advise.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!! When I bought my home 7 years ago I was looking for a fixer upper. The wife talked me into buying a much more expensive home that was ready to go. No work needed. I have since built a front porch, a screened in Gazeebo, a shed and a pergolla. I have torn out the laminate flooring and put in beautiful tile floors in my kitchen and dining room. I hand made all new cabinets for the kitchen and bought new countertops. We also bought all new stanless steel appliances. I am getting ready to gut the masterbathroom next.

Hmm, the wife was sure it didnt need anything. But you know it is a womans perogative to change her mind. LOL. But she is a good woman. She is worth keeping happy.

13. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

This house has new laminate wood flooring in the living room, formal dining room and the hall. It is a very dark red color. How well does it normally stand up to wear? My old rent house had laminate flooring but it was very light colored.

14. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Good advice on the house payments. IRC, payments 2x payments per month pay off a 30 yr mortgage in 22 years... but double principal payments every month pay off the house in 11 years.