Clones of the P7M8?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by countrybumpkin, May 22, 2007.

1. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New Member

Does HK have such a tight reign on their patents that no one is able to make a clone of the model?

2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

P7M7 Clones ?

HK is very protective oftheir designs...however

Having refinished many HK P series pistols, you would have such costs and night mares trying to copy one and sell it for a profit, it would NOT be en economically valid project to pursue.

Due to design & function, it is a pistol for a 1 pistol person, due to how it works.

Too many better pistols on the market is why HK discontinued them.

3. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Another problem with the P7 is the cost of magazines. I considered one till I found out how rare, and expensive spare mags were :eek: . Also Hk does keep a tight grip on their patents as well, although Hk clones do exist. My guess is that nobody sees a P7 clone as being profitable. P7 collectors see them as a status symbol, and a clone would not have much appeal.

4. Cliff47

Cliff47 New Member

After seening a couple of H&K P7's at a gun show, I determined that my recreation fund was nowhere near large enough to purchase one of those jewels. That's not a handgun, it's a lifestyle. I also determined the extra magazines were made from unobtanium, and priced well north of nonafforduim.

5. FALPhil

FALPhil New Member

First generation P7s with the mag catch in the traditional European position are commonly found for less than $700.

Frankly, I don't find the squeeze cocker very desirable. I think you would be better off spending your hard earned dollars on a C-96 with the stock/holster. They are almost as unique as the P7, are appreciating faster, shoot a more powerful round and have a much greater "cool" factor. After all, Han Solo didn't choose a P7!