Clint Eastwood's Revolver?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rambo1984, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Rambo1984

Rambo1984 New Member

Does anyone know what kind of revolver clint eastwood used in high plains drifter?

2. deerhuntguy

deerhuntguy New Member

Good question, I did not see the movie, but considering the time portrayed, it would most likely have been a Colt SSA, or a Remington. If it was a break-top when he reloaded, then it was a S & W.

3. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

Not sure about
    High Plains Drifter; in Pale Rider and Outlaw Josey Wales, he used a Walker Colt replica and an original Remington cap & ball, both modified to fire .38 blanks. In the Man with No Name trilogy, he used a Colt 1860 Army conversion with a rattlesnake inlaid in the left grip panel. Somebody or other makes a reproduction of it.

4. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

Got it. I was wrong; the Man with No Name gun was an 1851 Navy conversion. You can buy one from Uberti, who made the gun used in the movie. List is about $375.

5. larry weeks

larry weeks New Member

Clint Eastwood Pistols and Firearms

One of my favorites was "The Unforgiven" which featured a Schofield pistol and a Spencer rifle. The young cowboy with poor sight was referred to as the "Schofield Kid".

6. jd45

jd45 New Member

Clint's gun

Hello to all! New to this forum & glad to be here. To answer the question asked, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you mean "High Plains Drifter"...I think you mean, "Pale Rider", if you're talking about "Pale Rider", his main revolver was an 1858 Remington percussion revolver converted to cartridge,......in the others, he used the Cole SAA, except for "The Good; The Bad; & The Ugly", in which he used an 1851 Navy Colt, converted to cartridge by Kenny Howell of R&D Conversions. Hope this helps, jd45

7. J_B

J_B New Member

Dang I can't think of that one, just the movie Dirty Harry and what Clint Eastwood used :D

8. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Yes, yes,yes... Model 29 Smith & Wesson. Everybody had to have one after the movie. Most of them ended up being traded off or pawned. The average knucklehead just had no idea how brutal this 44 Magnum "could" be. I waited 20 years before I started collecting 44 Magnums. I have a bunch of them now, and I love ALL of them! I have 29's, 629's, Super Blackhawks, Redhawks, Bisley's, and on and on.

I guess those dippo's that just had to have a "Dirty Harry" gun didn't know about 44 Specials.

And, Dirty Harry was wrong anyway... it was the "SECOND" most powerful handgun in the world. The 454 Casull was well established at the time the movie was made.

9. J_B

J_B New Member

LOL on the .454 Casull that is now being trumpt by the .460 Magnum and the .500 Magnum, I heard a rumor that someone is working on a new one too.

I can do everything I want to do with the .44 Magnum, from mild 44 Spl loadings on up to real wild thumpers.

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Yeah, for some reason someone (in marketing) thinks that wheelguns are lacking in power. All of these 44's, 445's, 454's, 460's, 475's, and 500's just don't cut it anymore, They are thinking that a 20mm revolver would be nice...

I have 5 44 Magnums and I love shooting all of them.

11. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Colt's Single Action Army with 7.5 inch cavalry length barrel.

[​IMG]

12. Missouri_1

Missouri_1 New Member

13. rugermike

rugermike New Member

#1 41 Magnum Fan

I have shot all of the above mentioned and I still have a soft spot for the fabulous 41magnum. I have four S&W hand guns (4inch - 8 3/8 inch length barrels) and a Marlin 1894 lever action. Great hog and deer gun. And self defense is awesome as well. Less recoil and better accuracy than any of the other mention cartridges mentioned. But again JMO.

14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Not the question you're asking, but how many of yall know "dirty harry's" famous .44mag was actually a S&W model 57 in .41mag? It was portrayed as being an .44 but was actually .41mag due to logistical issues.

15. rugermike

rugermike New Member

41 Mag

THis is absolutely TRUE. I can't believe anyone knew that besides me "the greatest 41mag fan"

Welcome back Neal :):):)

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Just got power back on as well as internet here at house. I had been using the computer at library. Thanks!

17. MrKimber

MrKimber New Member

Go ahead, punk! Feel lu...... oh sorry, wrong gun! :D

Attached Files:

18. Ironheart

Ironheart New Member

1858 Remington

Was it this one?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

As for the use of a Model-57 in Dirty Harry, you're right. But, from what I read in one of the gun rags a few years ago in an interview with one of the technical guys that was involved with the movie, some of the scenes had him using an M-57, but others had him using an M-29. They were used interchangeably throughout the movie. The audience couldn't tell the difference. And he couldn't either since in no cases was he firing any magnum rounds.

SgtSam

20. Car54

Car54 New Member

Welcome to the forum jd45, hope you enjoy it here, but do us all a favor, go to the introduction forum and intro yourself there. Thanks.