climate control necessary for gun storage

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Mack Bolan, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

a smart *** friend told me if my guns cant withstand freezing temps or the changes in temperature that they aren't worth keeping. Considering you can be expected to use them or hunt in widely varying climates I'd tend to agree.

is it absolutely necessary to keep guns or your gun safe in an area with heat and ac, and dehumidifier or is this irrelevant?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I keep a dehumidifier rod in my safe, it cost me $29 . Never had a issue with rust or anything . My buddy has a AK that used to sit in his closet and its a bit of surface rust all over it . Humidity is the worst for them and living where I do we have some humid days in the summer

3. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I keep one of those "dry buckets" in my safe. It's a small one gallon bucket with dessicant crystals in it. When the bottom fills with water (every 3-4 months) I change it. Relatively cheap and they seem to do a great job! No rust on any of my guns and only one of them is stainless steel.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

I think as long as the temperature is constant and the humidity is low (30%ish) it's all good.

Large fluctuations in temp cause condensation=water=rust.

I have my safe away from outside walls and low to no light gets to it. Never needed a de-humidifier, never had any problems...:cool:

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

As long as you have a dehumidification system and your guns do not experience wild swings in temps over very short time periods, you guns will be just fine.

I use the Remington rechargeable silica gel dehumidifiers in my gun cabinet. These are available from Cabela's, Sportsman's Guide, etc.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have a dehumidfier rod in the safe (which is in a room that has an additional dehumidfier itself).

I have had a problem with mold in the humid area where I live.

It is better to prevent mold than to deal with it.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you were into antique guns and looked at guns all the time that were one or two hundred years old you would realize that guns do not need any special care.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Taking care of it while it's being stored doesn't mean it can't take some abuse, or even a LOT of abuse. It simply means you want it to last.

I don't know of anything at all that's man made and can survive the harshest conditions for any extended period of time without showing some sign of wear or damage.

Take care of your guns, and they'll take care of you.

My car is capable of going around 120. That don't mean I drive that fast.

Same with guns. Just because it CAN take a lickin, doesn't mean you shouldn't do everything you feasibly can to take care of it. Mine isn't a pampered safe queen either, it just gets scrubbed down occasionally.

9. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

well, my concern was whether or not to keep a gun safe in an area that doesn't get any heat or ac and does experience wide changes in temperature when the weather decides to do so.

I can certainly accommodate the need for dehumidifying, but it sounds like as long as that is addressed then the climate control isn't necessary as long as the guns are cleaned and oiled regularly, and the humidity and condensation in the safe are addressed appropriately (with a golden rod, or desiccant ) so there is no accumulation of moisture on anything inside.

10. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I've thought about this too. I think if I had a safe room in my basement (assuming I had enough guns some day to justify it) I would probably install either a bathroom fan hooked to a humidistat, or just heat the room in winter and run a dehumidifier. Temperature fluctuations don't matter a tremendous amount as long as the humidity can be controlled and they are not changing rapidly day to day. If the room was adjacent to a heated finished basement, but the room was unfinished, I would finish the room and make sure there was air flow so it becomes part of the conditioned space. Again, this all depends on climate and the relative humidity in the store room. Air flow is your best friend. I'm a weatherization tech for a living so if you have any questions about products or installation let me know. I'm building science and advanced air sealing certified.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  11. awahlster

awahlster New Member

REALLY depends on where your located.

To show how different two places are. ABout 20 years ago I build my brother a huge butcher block type dinning room table made from 1.25"W x 2.5"T Kiln dried Pine. The table was glued together with Titebond II wood glue and had 1/2"D steel rods passing through the pieces every 12" and then clamped with nuts on the ends of the steel rods.

This thing was as solid as any piece of wood could be.

For 10 years it sat in his dinning room with narry a care in the world.

Then one day he moved to SE AZ and moved the table there. The results in less then two weeks due to the huge change in relative humidity a giant crack opened up in the table completely shattering three pieces of wood lengthwise causing almost a 3/4" wide gap to appear in the table. My brother said when it first popped it sounded like a gun shot (he should know he owns a gun shop)

SO to say that a firearm doesn't need special care to ward off wood shrinkage or rust on the metal is a completely inaccurate statement.

The amount of moisture in my house in Silverton Oregon I would guess it WAY different then the moisture in your house in AZ. Or someone else's house in Louisiana. Or West Virginia.

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

no gun will rust if it has a light coat of oil. And I spent a large part of my life in MN where there are huge temperature swings and it is humid even in the winter.

13. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have a 10' square vault and I keep a dehumidifier set at 35% and also a oil circulating heater that looks kinda like a old steam radiator set to hold the temp. at 70 degrees. When I used a safe I have a piano dehumidifer in it. It was bout the same as a Golden Rod. As someone else mentioned if the temperature is pretty steady you might be alright but if there is a big temperature swing you can have condensation form which isn't good. I'm not willing to take that chance with my investments.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Same here in Idaho and when I was in Phoenix. My safe is indoors and at room temp all year. Humidity is low so I also haven't bothered with a dehumidifier.

15. vincent

vincent New Member

I carefully considered the location before I bought the safe as it gets very humid here in NC...

Only had 3 places to put it where it was away from outside walls and sunlight, and one of those places was full of ammo...oops...;)

I'm a miser with the thermostat too, so while the temperature in my house does fluctuate, it does so very slowly...

I've also made a point to keep the door shut and locked unless I absolutely need to get in there, gotta figure this helps maintain a constant temp as well...

The only thing I've done to prevent moisture is toss a couple of dessicant packs in there...the kind that come with new shoes or clothes but as Hiwall said, a good coat of oil is better than anything...

Good steel/finish is pretty tough. I inherited a shotgun that sat on a wall rack in an unheated garage for 15 years in Southern VA...and all the temperature variations that come with it. While it did have a significant amount of rust on the bbl, it cleaned right up with some 4naught steel wool and some Hoppe's #9

16. GunLover528

GunLover528 New Member

If you use FrogLube on your guns it is an xtra step to taking great care of your guns. This keeps them clean an lubricated. And every time you shoot, when the barrel heats up it releases the FrogLube out if the pours of the metal. Me very gun owner should use this product. It's a must for me. Love you guns and protect them and they will love and protect you!!!

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

humidity is more a concern than actual temperature. warm and dry is good and so is cool and dry. huge temperature changes can cause guns to sweat and form moisture. a dessicant system is something i consider a must if the environment or climate is humid.

if this is a concern, then regular inspections of the guns should be done. along with regular cleaning and oiling of them, even if they are not used. regualr inspections will catch a rust issue before it becomes a problem and does permanent damage to the guns.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you are in a high humidity area you can use drywall as a desiccant. Bake the drywall at 200 degrees for twenty minutes. Drywall really does great as dunnage in ammo storage areas. If you are the type that runs the central heat/air all the time you won't have any issues with your guns.

19. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

unless you live in a vacuum there is suspended moisture in the air, that moisture condenses when it gets cold enough (known as the "dew point").

you need to either keep the air warm enough to keep the moisture from condensing on the gun steel or use a system that will extract the water from the air.

most safe "dehumidifiers" are really just heating elements that keep the safe above the temp of condensation.
    Dehumidifying chemicals are usually very corrosive and I would not want them near my guns.

My safe is in a room that is well insulated but not heated everyday. When I am in the room I run the heater and leave the safe door open to help get the air circulating and get the inside of the safe warm. I also have a safe heater in the bottom of the safe that runs 24/7.

I live in Seattle, we are basically underwater for 9 months of the year, none of my guns have ever shown any rust while in my safe....that is my two cents....

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Metal will rust faster in an area that is not climate controlled. A couple days in the field will not cause a gun to rust. In fact, using a gun is the easiest way to get rust off the gun. For long term storage climate control eliminates a lot of maintenance. I have left guns with relatives that know nothing about maintaining a firearm for years at a time. Their well sealed, climate controlled home prevented my guns from rusting.