Client's Rifle

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by DuraCoater, Oct 28, 2012.

1. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Finally get to ship it to him soon after test firing next weekend and making sure it doesn't blow up in my face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slim325

slim325 New Member

Me must have that looks Awsome what is that chamberd in?

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You have a manufacturer license? How much does that thing way? Is it 5.56? What are you charging?

4. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

This one is chambered in .308 and we hope to start on a .338 version soon.

We are actually in the R&D phase - this client was a contributor to our project so he did not buy the rifle, it was a gift.

When all is said and done it will be a liquid cooled rig.

It weighs about as much as a Barret M107.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Why would u need something liquid cooled in a semi auto? Very cool project though.

6. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

I'm not sure I understand the question, keeping a barrel cool on any platform is a benefit.

Scientific Answer: As little as 3 shots on mid to large caliber rifles can begin to have negative consequences.

Our Answer: Because we can.

7. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Here is one of our previous generation models;

[​IMG]

A bunch of industry vendors have graced their break rooms for the employees with our stuff from what I've been told. haha (no seriously, that is awesome, they could put us as a motivational poster in the crapper and I would be flattered)

8. slim325

slim325 New Member

That is badass lookin looks like it should be carried by a storm trooper

9. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

What is tha contraption called on the end if that rifle. I wanna see how it works

10. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Thanks, I appreciate it.

That is the flux capacitor!

11. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Wow! A gun that will take you back to the future.
    Seriously though, cool looking rifle!

12. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Request of his...

[​IMG]

Couple other neat photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plaque mounted inside the cutsom cut Pelican 1750 case to lug this beast around...

[​IMG]

13. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

As a side note, this system can be fired in both single shot and semi-auto mode. It utilizes an adjustable JP gas block and future versions will have a small hole drilled out in the chassis for which an extended control knob will be located.

The user will be able to adjust the gas on the fly externally with nothing more than their fingers.

[​IMG]

This is an older snapshot from our CAD software when the original idea was to simply use a hex key from the outside. we have since decided to make it more of a "knob" as mentioned for tool-less operation.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Effing awesome! I wish I had the time to do this, as a machinist that brings a gun Boner on! (symbolism)

15. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Well I cannot take credit for the actual machining portion.

I am simply the idea maker, the guy bringing it to life in CAD type software, and ultimately the tester and finisher.

All the raw work is handled by a machine shop we partner with.

Edit: I remember first time I took it to the range. I put my range box (quite heavy) behind the stock on the wooden bench. Tied a string to the trigger. Stood behind the range box (like a barrier), one palm on it - preparing to put forward weight on it - and then pulling the string with my free hand.

Thankfully all I felt was a light thud. After three more light thuds I ditched the overly paranoid act and sat down and started having fun. haha

16. stfm57

stfm57 New Member

Need a youtube of one at work.
    nice job .

17. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

I understand wanting to do semi and single. But unless that bolt locks during single it seems a little pointless to me. It's not helping at all. Was I mistaken when I saw the bolt jump back during single shooting? And what sort of things are you thinking about doing to combat that?

18. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

The BCG does not move backwards when single shot operation is currently being used. Just like a bolt action (short of pulling up and back in most cases) the BCG must be manually pulled back to extract the spent cartridge and load in a fresh one.

While not the same as an actual bolt action rifle, the advantages in a system like this is when the shot is fired, you eliminate movement that would normally occur as the BCG extracts the round just ignited and loads a new one. All in a blink of an eye.

Once again, it does not mimic a traditional bolt action performance wise, but there is a good spike in stability when shooting in this mode of operation.

And it also makes brass collection easier. haha!

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Pay very close attention to the rotating bolt and the gas operation.
    With the gas turned off, there is no movement, as the bolt is rotated and locked into place. It's the gas, forcing the carrier rearward, engaging the cam pin, and thus unlocking the bolt to disengage it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHx6qdteFY[/ame]

The only reason it can function in single shot this way is because the T-handle on the top and/or the external charging handle attached to the bolt carrier replace the need for the gas, making it manually operated.