Click then BOOM

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CourtJester, Nov 12, 2012.

1. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I've a 338 Lapua that I finally shot this weekend. Maybe it's normal (though I'm sure it's not) but I noticed wen shooting that I pull the trigger and I hear the firing pin hit before monster bang.

I reloaded my own rounds to sight it in with and it's the fist I've done for the 338 so maybe I jacked something up. Dunno. Lapua brass, 87 gr Magpro powder, federal primer, and 250 gr hornady bullet.

Any ideas or insight?

I've got a video I can post later where you can hear it but can't post it from my phone.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. hmh

hmh New Member

Sounds to me like your powder might be contaminated.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe better earplugs?
    ;)

Dang! 250 grain is not small. I would like to see a bear shot with one of those, maybe a few of those.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What you are describing is called a hang fire. Generally caused by primer issues. A primer that is not seated properly can do this. A slightly contaminated primer can do this. You did not specify the type of primer, only Federal. A Magnum primer is required to set off such a large charge of powder. If you were using the Federal 215 (Magnum primer), you may consider switching to a different brand as each make/type of primer burns a little different. Perhaps a Winchester large rifle Magnum primer will be hotter and more easily sets off the charge.

5. CourtJester

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. orangello

orangello New Member

says "private album"

7. CourtJester

:-(

8. CourtJester

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Sounds like a hang fire. Do you keep your powder in a cool, moisture proof area. Might also be some other contamination...you should never hear the hammer drop on the primer...any delay between trigger pull and BOOM is not normal...unless you are firing a flint lock musket.

10. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

robocop10mm nailed it.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I shoot a lot of big bore stuff. Cci large rifle magnum i believe they are the 250 work really well.

12. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

13. greydog

greydog Member

Hang fires are most common when using ball powders in large cases at lower loading densities. Slow burning ball powders have a heavy deterrent coating which makes ignition more difficult. Quite often, increasing the powder charge (providing the charge is low enough that you can sfaely do so) will eliminate the hangfires. If you want to use lighter loads, there are powders which are more tolerant and will work well at lower pressures and low loading density.
    Hangfires can also be indicative of a mechanical problem such as a weak striker spring or dragging sear or striker. GD

14. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

All very true. You also have to look at what you are he is loading. He is shooting a cartridge that is using around 90 to 100 gr of powder. That is a large batch of powder you are trying to set off. You need the larger longer flame of a magnum primer to get consistent ignition. Even a 300 weatherby which using 70 to 85 gr loads needs a magnum primer.