Clearing up Bushcraft

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I go to work in the middle of the day, and check in here when I get home. I see the other thread continues to explode, but I noted a few misconceptions.

Let me give the brief overview, and hopefully clear this up.

1) No purchase required- Some, mainly newer guys, seem to think we're selling something. We are in negotiations with a couple of companies to get the absolute best and most inexpensive knives available. We were aware that our overseas guys might have some problems, and we're looking into that.

I've contacted some of our overseas guys by PM, and you guys best know the laws and regs of your country.

2) Not a bit- Some, mainly seasoned guys, think this is a bit, and some of you are bordering on nasty with it.

This idea was spawned in an unrelated thread, where guys didn't like their chances of survival if dropped in the woods. Francisco drops into the woods for fun. Perfect match.

Participation is voluntary. No tricks, no gimmicks. Nobody is twisting your arm if you don't want to play.

3) "It's so big!"- Let me share the scope of this. We initially thought that we would maybe get 10 guys aboard on this. We were leery of dumping alot of money into procuring knives that would sit there and do nothing.

This blew up so fast, we've had to re-evaluate everything. New stuff is getting added daily, comments and suggestions are coming in.

It's no exaggeration to say that this is the largest group effort ever done here.

Ask questions...

2. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

And no, purchase of a knife is not required. If you have an old faithful friend, take her out and use her to do what she was made for.

Alot of questions about sign up.

I'm going to suggest that we have a thread just for that, and here's why: there is a special benefit in the works for those who complete this. We'll be explaining that in more detail soon.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Are any of these tests going to be abusive to my old friend? I understand this is about one style of knife that can perform in a wide range of uses. If I participate, can I use more than one knife, or is that not following the premise? Is Tannerite involved?:eek:

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I haven't seen a solitary test. I'm starting out just like everybody else, in the dark as far as what M.C.I. Francisco has hatched.

Knowing him, I can't see him doing ANYTHING that would abuse the knife. If he needed to baton a log, and he thought the knife would be damaged, he'd probably sharpen a baby and use that instead.

Hard use, probably. Abuse? Not him.

5. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I am shocked that anyone would think it was a bit with you involved:D

On a serious note - Any idea of how much stuff in addition to a knife will be needed for the challenges/tests?

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Well, this sounds like the E Ticket ride and I'm still in.

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Is this going to be possible for a guy in the middle of Los Angeles?

They were talking about needing hardwood trees. I think it will be frowned upon for me to chop up the trees in the garden department of Home Depot.

And around here we built our temporary shelters under freeway overpasses out of wood pallets and cardboard boxes.

Fires need to be lit in fifty gallon drums, and you better have a bottle of Thunderbird to pass around.:eek:

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I have no answer here. I know the tests are supposed to start very simple, and end with some difficulty. C.M.I. Francisco jokingly calls this "playing caveman", so beyond the knife, I'm assuming that anything else will be readily available in wooded areas.

Adaptability will be important here. If you aren't surrounded by appropriate trees, I'm sure allowances will be made.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

This may be harder for you, then. If difficulties arise, say so, and maybe the classmates can help out.

I personally want to see everyone who participates succeed.

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I think it will be.

A degree of competition is involved here. If he has us make a spoon, I want mine to be a beautiful, manly spoon.:cool:

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Ah crap, and here i thought this thread was going to be you showing us how to shave a woman using a knife. totally dissappointed :(

anyhow, I'm still in and I want the knife! :D

12. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

As J.D. pointed out, we're getting them in two categories. One will be engraved FTF, the other is the same knife without engraving. M.C.I. Francisco will be pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of the knife.

This is not a tactical, badazz fighter. It's a simple design, light enough to not notice, and suited for our purpose.

Most importantly, it's higher quality than the pricetag suggests.

Again, we wanted everybody to be able to participate. A $100 knife wasn't going to work. It needed to be in everybody's price range.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm having flashbacks to a hunter education class I had to take a few years back. They were spending a couple hours talking about survival techniques (keep in mind... in Iowa).

I turned to the guy next to me and told him this could save his life one day out in the field when he walks out of the ravine and doesn't recognize any of the 6 farm houses within a mile of him.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Aren't pallets made of hardwood? :D I'm hoping we get to gut something (gotta draw the line at eating it though).

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You final is to gut a free ranging bear on PPV. :)

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Teddy Ruxpin HOOOOOOO! :D

17. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Attached Files:

18. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

And you have to take a bite of it's still beating heart.

Which in this case would be it's little voice box.

19. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Do we have an estimated start date yet? If it isn't for a couple weeks yet I should be able to make the knife purchase, if sooner then not. Either way I am IN!

20. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Benning, thanks for starting this thread. I'll add a few details.

-Besides the knife, you might need some cord and pieces of wood. An old Altoids tin or other simple stuff like that. "The more you know, the less you need" is one of the premises of our little experiment. We don't want money to be a problem.

-You don't need to be in the middle of the Amazon rain forest to be a part of this. In fact, it's better to practice in the comfort of your own backyard, garage or even living room before heading out to the woods. I've tried to make everything as urban friendly as possible. I'll add "urban alternatives" of shelters and things like that.

-The idea is to rely on a single knife for everything. Every single design out there is a compromise of features, it will do better at some things than others. This is a chance to learn about the advantages and limitations your knife of choice has. There will be no intentional harm caused to the knives, I'd sooner set my grandmother on fire than break an innocent blade. We'll use them, put a bit of stress on them at times, but we'll apply proper techniques to keep them in one piece.

-Eating stuff will be kept to a bare minimum, I don't want any lawyers calling me up about somebody who used the wrong leaves for tea. We'll cover some very basic wild edibles and natural remedies, but there's just too much geographic variety and we want to keep it safe.

-We're slowly getting started. I'm posting some new stuff tomorrow, but the real assignments will begin once we get the knife issue worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.