Clear infringement of our 2A rights!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Do you guys know about this? We weren’t even allowed to carry on the space shuttles or station. Don’t know about the Soyuz capsule. It’s Russian so I don’t think US rules apply.

Federal Aviation Administration Regulations
    § 135.119
    Operating requirements: commuter and on-demand operations and rules governing persons on board such aircraft;
    Subpart B - Flight Operations Security.
    An operator must implement security requirements to prevent any space flight participant from jeopardizing the safety of the flight crew or the public.
    A space flight participant may not carry on board any explosives, firearms, knives, or other weapons.
    Amdt. 460-, Eff. 2/13/2007

Reference: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...2579E200570E33?OpenDocument&Highlight=weapons

Should this be posted in Legal?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'll bet it has to do with oxygen being pumped into the capsule? I'm not sure.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That just screwed up all my beliefs I have acquired from outer space movies.

Imagine Red Planet without weapons.

4. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

More like the negative effects of everything exiting through a bullet hole into space like a meat grinder if you broke the seal on it with an oh sh!t moment.!

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Phukk them. I'm carrying my phaser whether they like it or not!:p

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Probably right.

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I was thinking about becoming an astronaut but after finding out about this, I think I'll just stay an astronaught.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Why would oxygen being pumped into the capsule have anything to do with it ?..............I guess you mean letting it out !...........

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

They use scrubbers and burners like a submarine. They recycle their atmosphere. They have some back-up oxygen, and oxygen generators, but oxygen by itself isn't flamable. The hydrogen which is a by-product from the O2 generators is explosive though. The fire triangle requires oxygen, fuel and heat each. now having powder igniting in an oxygen rich environment could make for a brighter flash, but once the fuel is consumed the fire is out.

Holes in a presurized people container are bad.

10. SSGN_Doc

Submarines are kind of the oposite. We worry about the pressure outside overcming the inside. If we exceed the crush limits it become like being in a diesel cylinder. Everything compresses until hot enough to combust, and it's over in a flash. I never dwelt on it. Figured it beat drowning or burning slowly.

Every ship in the Navy can dive (once). Submarines can come back up.

Every submarine has a maximum depth capability to go all the way to the bottom (once).

"There's air in the banks, and shiz in the tanks. Don't worry about the fire the flooding will put it out."

Just a little of the grave sub humor we share.

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Is a submarine a ‘Gun Free Zone’?

Would having that kind of lethality, on a boomer with a couple of dozen ICBMs with X warheads, be considered dangerous?

12. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Just a thought wouldn't a slingshot just be is deadly with no gravity

EZ

13. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Hell, using a farmer thumb to nose snot fling could be dangerous with zero gravity! A crusty one could take an eye out from across the lab!

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Pure Oxygen would make the powder burn faster than in a nitrogen-rich atmosphere like on Earth, and would build up excessive pressure In the chamber once the bullet exits the cartridge. This may cause the gun to break, maybe catastrophically. But likely the atmosphere in a space vehicle or station is not pure Oxygen. A small hole in the wall could easily be patched. But a space vehicle or station is a stressful environment, and if our people are sharing it with Russians or Chinese, there could be some small dispute trigger mayhem on board. (But if the Americans win, where's the down side?) :D

15. TLuker

TLuker New Member

How about the international space station? :)

16. SSGN_Doc

We have small arms lockers onboard. They could be opened to issue out weapons for a "repel boarders' alarm. Obviously only if we were running on the surface or in port. Most likely handguns and shotguns would be issued for inside use, while we have belt-fed machine guns and M16/M4 rifles for the outside. My last ship was a SSGN, so we also kept some weapons and equipment pre-staged for SEAL's. And we had no nuclear missiles. Just somewhere over 100 conventional Tomahawk cruise missiles.

One of the accurate lines in "The Hunt for Red October" is, "Be careful Mr. Ryan, there are some things back there that don't react well with bullets." The nukes are pretty stable, the rocket fuel not as much. Most small arms rounds wouldn't pentrate the tubes though, but some of the hydraulic systems, high pressure air systems, electrical systems, high explosives in torpedos, etc. are more volatile.

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

This is just a wild guess, but since it is the "international" space station, it would cause some serious PC problems.

18. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Now that would just suck if you couldn't do a little plinking while out on a space walk! :mad:

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I wasn’t really concerned about the security of the ICBMs from small arms fire. I just thought it would’ve been ironic for people capable of killing a few hundred million, to not be trusted with small arms. :rolleyes:

(100+ Tomahawks? Really?)

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

:)
    Yes it would...