Cleaning

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mike5150, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

I just bought my first 2 guns and brought them home today. I got a S&W Sigma 9mm, and a Remington 870 shotgun. The guy at the shop set me up with a gun cleaning kit for each, and gave me a small bottle of Hoppes #9 solvent and Hoppes gun lubricant. After reading the instructions on both guns, the S&W says "Ammoniated solvents or other strong alkaline solvents should not be used on any S&W firearm" I checked the Hoppes solvent and it does contain ammonia. The 870 says to only use "Rem Action cleaner".

I'm assuming I have to return the Hoppes solvent before I can clean the guns, but does anyone have a suggestion on what a good replacement would be?

Thanks!

2. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I use Hopps #9 on my firearms with no problems.
    S&W M&P .40 and .357 Mag service revolver and all of my shotguns, two of them being Remington 870s. Remington wants you to buy their product so that's why they put those warnings on them. Don't let the solvent touch the finish. Use the solvent for the inside of the barrel, receiver, bolt, etc. Then wipe away and use oil in these places including the outside of the firearm. Wipe away excess oil. If your shotgun has a wood stock, after cleaning prop the shotgun on it's muzzle so that any excess oil runs out of the barrel and not into the wood stock. Oil will ruin a wood stock.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Hoppes Good. So is Shooter's Choice. Never ever use WD-40, Bad.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Remington is trying to sell their brand of cleaning solution. It does NOT mean any other solvent will cause harm or void the warranty. Kind of like Ford telling you to use only Motorcraft oil in your F-150. I believe there are Federal regualtions dictating warranty terms. A company cannot void your warranty because you chose a different cleaner/lubricant/filter. etc.

There is nothing wrong with Hoppes. Use it and sleep well.

5. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Not to be argumentative, but I've used WD40 for 30+ years on a safe full of firearms with absolutely no problems and good results. I use it as a final swabbed through the barrel, after I clean them with a solvent. I've also used it to wipe down the external metal surfaces prior to placing in the safe. I've used it to de-gunk actions prior to dis-assembly. We used it in our armory in the USAF to wipe down every firearm--never an issue, never any corrosion or rust, never impacted the metal finish. I think WD40 has gotten a bad rap--it isn't a bore solvent, but when used properly works great to prevent rust and protect the bore. Just my observation...

6. Force4000

Force4000 New Member

I also have hoppes 9 but havnt tried it yet. I use Nitro Solvent gun cleaner, stuff works really good for both of my guns. I then use Rem Oil for lubrication.

7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've been using Hoppes #9 and Hoppes Benchrest on all my guns, zero problems so far.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I use Hoppes #9 too, the stuff works great. If you get some on your finish wipe it off.
    I've never used the Rem action cleaner, but.....Rem Oil is some good stuff IMO.

9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Hoppes #9 is for guns, what Channel #9 is for women.

10. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

I guess my issue is that the S&W says not to use Ammoniated solvent (read solvent that contains ammonia). Why would Ammonia be bad for a gun, and if it is bad why would any solvent/cleaner contain it.

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Maybe the ammonia will hurt the polymer on alot of S&W guns,I don't know.I have used wd-40 in the past as a cleaner,and it seems to work well.wd-40 as a cleaner,and a better grade oil as a protectant.Right now I use a kit called Tetra Gun,it is an all in one cleaner and lubricator.I don't know much about it,but it seems to work alright.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Sigma in 40 S&W. I use Hoppes #9 sometimes. But I really like Break Free. I use the Break Free on everything. The first time I saw it I was in the Army. We were in Basic and had to qualify. The Armor went down the line and sprayed everyones actions. He said it would keep them moving better in the freezing weather. He told us it was great for cleaning too. I've been using it ever since. That was back in 1985.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have seen people use wd-40. An armor told me that it got a bad rap because people would spray down guns without actually cleaning them. He said that a cop brought him a revolver that was locked up because he would spray it down on a regular basis. He said the guy never even unloaded it. Stupid, I know. Good thing he never needed it.

14. Mike5150

Mike5150 New Member

I did a bit more research, and as someone mentioned already the ammonia is bad for the polymer, so I decided to play it safe and exchange the hoppes #9 for Hoppes elite. It sounds pretty impressive. I have another question though...I only got cleaner and oil, do I need a copper solvent also?

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Only rap against WD 40 is when people mistake it for a lubricant. Long term I would rely on an oil more than a mositure repellent to prevent rust. If you clean monthly shouldn't be an issue.

16. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

DITTO!

I was once told the ammonia warning is because synthetic stocks might be damaged by it. There are many products available for you to choose from, and like others I have never had a problem in over 40 years, using Hoppes #9.

17. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I have seen firearms (with my own eyes, can I get an amen here) where extended use with WD-40 has removed the varnish from the stock and the bluing form the barrel. Although, I have successfully used WD-40 as an adhesive tape remover, so if this crap can remove adhesive tape boogers, do you really and truly think it's safe to use on firearms? I'd argue with anyone on this one until my dying breath and would never ever recommend the use of WD-40 for anything firearm related. There are far superior products on the market designed especially for firearms, so I ain't putting any of that WD-40 chit on any of my guns.

18. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I like it when the ole lady wears a little Hoppe behind the ears, beside at $100.00 an ounce, I really don't know if Channel #9 is worth it.

19. doctherock

doctherock New Member

just a little info on wd 40. It is highly refined kerosene and can be used in zippo lighters. Hoppes #9 has been the cleaner of choice in my family for the last 34 years.

20. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I never get any WD40 on my stocks, nor bore solvent, nor anything else for that matter other than products design for the type of stock finish (tung oil, varnish, poly, etc.). But it's strange, as I've used WD40 for 30+years on blued guns and never had any damage, in fact they still look like new. Now I do have a few firearms (mostly pistols) that have some wear on the bluing, but it is from holster or scabbard contact, etc. Items that don't have a lot of contact and wear, such as shotgun barrels, still look beautiful. Maybe I've just been lucky, but it works for me.