Cleaning your .22 semi-auto rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by lonyaeger, Dec 22, 2010.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I just started shooting "friendly-competitive" at the gun club with my 10/22.

The experienced shooters do nothing more than run a boresnake through the barrel every 100-200 rounds or so.

The maker of my barrel says to use solvents only rarely when cleaning the bore and they recommend just a boresnake as well for the most part.

This goes against everything I've ever been told, and I've been shooting most of my life.

Also, on the semi-autos like my 10/22 and my Browning take-down, if you were to use a brush and cleaning rod, you would have to go at it from the muzzle end, which doesn't seem right to me.

How do y'all do it?

2. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

No way to do a semi-auto but from the muzzle end -- same on a lever gun. I put a large patch in the chamber to try to catch the gunk, but what else is there to do?

3. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The tolerances have always been pretty tight on the 10/22. If yours is a newer model they may be even tighter. I generally exceed manufacturer's recommendations because I believe those recs are tailored for inexperienced gun owners.

Can you get a flex poly-coated steel cleaning cable to run from the chamber out the muzzle end? I don't know if you can do that on a 10/22 without removing the bolt.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I can't get a rod and patch down the bore of my 10/22. So FWIW, I wet a boresnake with solvent and run it through the barrel a number of times. I use a Q-tip with solvent to clean the throat and inside the receiver.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I had a hole drilled in the back of the receiver so I could use a rod the correct way.

However, with .22lr, you are shooting lead bullets ( for the most part ) and not copper, copper clad, brass or something like that.

Copper fouling is what causes the metal intereaction between the barrel and the bullet that can lead to pitting and things that you would normally be "protecting" against.

With a lead bullet, there isn't much inherent damage because there isn't a deterioration factor of lead versus the steel/alloy of the barrel.

That is why you see guys just use a boresnake to get the excess off. It's quick, easy and about all the protection you have to do on a rifle like the 10/22 that isn't easily designed to have a chamber guide and cleaning rod for scrubbing.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well, there it is. Thanks!

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Clean a rimfire what are you nuts?

There is no need to clean the barrel on a rimfire. take some break clean and house out the action and then pour in some mobile 1 and call it good.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I've been called anal. Anal.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have this odd disorder: I cannot sleep if I haven't done my due diligence and cleaned my guns after firing, even rimfires.

10. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I once heard a rumor that Volquartsen will void the warranty on there rimfire barrels if they can tell that a cleaning rod or brush has been down it, and they suggest you leave the barrel alone and just shoot it.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Me too, except that's about to change with my .22s.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

There are many makes of copper plated .22lr bullets, CCI Mini-Mags, for example. I have not experienced much fouling from .22lr bullets, maybe because they are so small...I dunno. Plus, there is very little powder in those teeny cases.

Most of the manuals I've seen from .22lrs say to just run a patch with a small bit of solvent and then a dry patch. The higher end barrel mfrs will void the warranty if a brush has been used.

So, I'm with Tango and others and don't be anal about your .22lr barrel. I bet if you see the same guys that only use a bore snake shooting a .308 for example, they will break out the whole cleaning gear for those. Pucker up and don't be so anal with your .22lr rifle. :D

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, I was wondering about the copper-jacketed bullets like the Velocitors....but I wouldn't be shooting those in my target 10/22. Just lead.

And you're right.....I never used a brush on a .22, even as a kid. Always just a patch with Hoppes, dry patches, then a patch with a little oil.

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man I've left 22's forever and not done much more than a bore snake. And I'm taking well over a couple thousand rounds. And even then you wont see much come out of them. My AMT wont even shoot right until I get some dirt in it if I've cleaned it out. I'm pretty big on cleaning and maintenance but rimfires just don't need it.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

They are more of a copper wash that is done to them.

Don't even get me started on bore snakes.

16. Squirrel_Slayer

What is your opinion on Boresnakes Tango? I fused for a quick clean say 150 rounds into a 300 round weekend?

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I've got .22's that haven't been cleaned in years. My Henry Golden Boy has never been cleaned. When they quit working or accuracy falls off I'll clean them.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I picked up an older 10/22 and could not get it to shoot well. I finally took a brush and #9 to it and scrubed the bore. It looked like the last 2" of the bore was leaded. A lot of crud came out and now it shoots very well. I usually just use a bore snake and spray out the action.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

A bore snake is good for one use. then you are just dragging a dirty rag through your gun. How is dragging a dirty sock through your gun cleaning it?

20. Squirrel_Slayer

Good point, could you throw one in the dishwasher? I have one for my .45ACP and I have never used it and haven't read the instructions on cleaning it after use.