cleaning up your furniture.

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by ccase39, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Since some furniture on some AKs are a little rough does it take anything away from value to sand and stain it? mine is a little rough and could use some going over with fine sand paper and maybe stain.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Dont sand it, use a furniture stripper and a soft nylon type brush to remove the finish.

Check out Axxe's thread on Bolt action rifles, post 109 and beyond.
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/bolt-action-rifles-92316/index3.html

Unless your AK is an original milled receiver brought back from Viet Nam or other, and not a stamped receiver, the value shouldn't depreciate much at all since there are millions of them out there. It will make you happier to have it a finish you have done though :)

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Doent even seem to be finished at all. Very rough to the touch. Looks to have not been finished.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

There is a great joy to be had when refinishing a stock or furniture etc. I'd go for it. Aks should be a piece of cake. to do. Im partial to the red tint to the stocks, find a color or natural tone to your liking, and do it. :)

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I bought a WASR 10/63 at a pawn shop that had been completely spray painted black. I did what Anna is recommending, and used a chemical paint stripper on the whole gun. I did use a little fine sandpaper to get the wood a little smoother. I used two different stains to get my color to the right blend if red and brown for my taste, and restained the wood.

Here is how it came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

6. SSGN_Doc

Of course in my case it wasn't going to make the value any lower than the runny black spray paint job that the previous owner had subjected it to. The key is to not remove wood or change shape, but just to smooth it. Fine sandpaper after you strip the wood.

7. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I have used citri strip with good luck did a once over with 320 sand paper stained and used min wax wipe in poly and used 0000 steel wool in between the coats of poly

8. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

[/QUOTE]

That is beautiful. That is the color I was thinking.

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

That is where I have seen that before, Thanks Doc, ive always loved the redder ones. BTw, i once saved it as a screen lock pic on my Ipod if ya dont mind ? :)

10. SSGN_Doc

Don't mind at all. I had it as my phone background for a while.

The finish was a couple coats of minwax mahogany, and after it dried I used a water based stain that was "cranberry" for a single coat to bring the red out. Then minwax, hand rubbed poly.

11. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Cranberry was the color?

12. SSGN_Doc

Yes cranberry was the color if the water based stain. I don't have the stain any more and can't remember the brand. I just applied a single cost if it over the dried mahogany stain from minwax. After everything was dry I began applying coats of polyurethane.

13. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

so mahogony then cranberry? Or was it originally mahogany? Mine is unfinished .

14. SSGN_Doc

I completely stripped the furniture if any paint, stain, varnish, etc. using a chemical stripper.

Let that dry.

Used fine sandpaper just to smooth things out.

Used tack cloth to remove dust.

I applied minwax mahogany. (A couple if coats.)

Let that dry a day or two.

Then applied one coat of the water based cranberry colored stain.

Let that dry overnight.

Then applied polyurethane according to instructions.

Took 0000 steel wool to the poly after it dried, and buffed lightly to make the finish more matte than gloss.

15. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

Refinishing the furniture.

If I may offer my guidance.

When I refinished my AKM and others, I used a citrus based stripper since I do all my work indoors. I apply it as many times as needed to get it down to bare wood. In between each treatment I wash the wood with a eco friendly paint thinner that I buy from Wally World, (again, no odor) and let it air dry each time. Once the the natural wood shows through, I use a damp cloth and a clothes iron to raise any dents and fill any gouges with the appropriate wood filler if necessary. Once this is done I then take some Tru-Oil and hand rub it onto the wood. It puts a thin coat on the wood and I usually put three coats on it. It usually takes me a month to do all of this. I guess that you could say that I am meticulous (or anal) about my work.

If this is something that you want to try, PM me and I will walk you through it step by step since I did not do it here. :D

16. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

ForumRunner_20131007_191312.jpg

ForumRunner_20131007_191324.jpg

ForumRunner_20131007_191333.jpg

ForumRunner_20131007_191347.jpg

Thanks man! I did as you said. I first went with red mohogony, I went over that with cabernet to give it a touch of red. I have got a coat of poly on and will do 2 more as they dry. Heres some pics. There are before and after in messed up order.

Attached Files:

17. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Thanks man. This is my first Ak and I wanted to go kind of cheap on it. This one is going to be kind of a beater. Maybe one day Ill put some real work into it. Sounds like you know ur ****.

18. SSGN_Doc

Looking good.

I found the poly to be quicker than the oil rubbed stocks. I've done them but like you, I figured that an AK didn't really need the time.

19. SSGN_Doc

I like the oil finishes too. And can vouch for this method if you wang a really high quality finish.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I Had this done because I wanted a "darker" color to my M1A1,..but have since had it restored to the orig. color....
    I'd like to do this on a future purchase though.