Cleaning up after Wolf ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rhevans, Jun 20, 2009.

1. rhevans

rhevans New Member

After reading many posts about how Wolf ammo coats the chamber with lacquer/polymer, I'm wondering if there is a prefered method for cleaning the chamber.

Is a special cleaner needed?

Should the chamber be warm/hot?

Thanks

2. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I do not think that you will have chamber cleaning issues if you use the polymer coated Wolf....Unless maybe you are full auto and your barrel is getting smoking hot. I have never used the lacquer coated ammo, and never wil as it has been known to cause chamber fouling issues. You will have to run a few more cleaning patches through your bore after shooting Wolf as it does seem to burn a bit "dirtier" than US factory loads.

TXnorton

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

A warm chamber is easiest to clean. Birchwood Casey GunScrubber on a patch should dissolve any laquer build-up. Then use a chamber brush with vigorous scrubbing followed by another wet patch and more scrubbing. I haven't had any issues in my SKS, but the tolerances are not as tight as with an AR, so I never use that crap in my AR's...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  4. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Break-Free CLP

I first use Break-Free CLP on the chamber, down the barrel and to clean the bolt, etc. and then run a patch to clean the barrel. Afterwards I use Hoppes solvents on the barrel. The Break-Free CLP works quite well for cleaning and lubricating. ;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. rhevans

rhevans New Member

Thanks all.

Rick