Cleaning tips??? Help

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by JMAtactical, Aug 24, 2013.

1. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Ok so what do y'all recommend to use on a coated blade that has rust on it. I was thinking WD40

2. Werminator

Werminator Member

JMA I would recommend caution using anything to clean the blade until you wash it with hot soapy water and a rag of some sort. Start mild building up on the strength of the agents you choose. I assume you are hoping to restore the crkt you recently picked up. Cool knife, not for me but cool knife. Take it slow so you don't strip that coating off the steel.

3. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

When you say "rust"...is it pitted at all or just surface rust? Do exaclty as Werminator says and after that try steel wool or very very fine wet sandpaper with oil. I've used WD40 on steel before and although it gets rid of surface rust, anything deep in the steel will require additional steps. If the rust has pitted the blade, you will need to step up the abrasivenesss. You will see as you go along.

4. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Here is the pic of the rust

image-1909676711.jpg

5. Missouribound

Anything abrasive you would use will take off the coating. If you can't get the rust off with a cleaner and a rag it's there to stay....unless you want to remove the lettering as well.

6. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Thank you so much man. I do not want to mess this blade up at all. This blade and what it stands for means a lot to me.

7. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

You could try baking soda and vinegar, its not as abrasive as some rust removal chemicals but it does work pretty well on some metals. I refurbished an old set of my dads free weights using baking soda and vinegar as a rust remover and it worked surprisingly well.

8. Missouribound

I tell you what my friend, it means a lot to all of us.

9. Werminator

Werminator Member

I personally wouldn't use vinegar if you want the blade to come out looking new. Vinegar is used by some to put a forced patina on steel blades. I don't know the exact chemical action but it isn't going to give you the result I think you are seeking.

10. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

11. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

12. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

CLR ( THE SOAP TYPE ) & bronze wool .... Same as 000 fine steel wool; but its not.
    Don't go Gorilla on it..... Nice & easy does it.... evv..e..rry time.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  13. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Ya I will look into clr. Here are some new pics I took of the knife just for fun

image-1793242155.jpg

14. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

You can first degrease the blade with brake cleaner of a gun degreaser spray if you so desire . For removing rust, WD- 40 is a good thing to try first because it is unlikely to do any damage . If the rust remains, I might try some Liquid Wrench original or PB Blaster .

To keep the rust away , I'd first degrease the blade and then coat it with BreakFree CLP .

15. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

OP. If the rust is till on the blade, i would try this: http://www.gunzilla.us/

Sprat it on, and let it sit fro 24 hours. Wipe it off, and see if it needs a second application. If it does, repeat step one, and after the second application spray some on the blade, and scrub it with a nylon bristle brush. If it will take rust off of a blued barrel without damaging the blueing, it should work on the coating on that blade.