Cleaning the XD's

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by chazzy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. chazzy

chazzy New Member

I know how to clean a gun but never cleaned a gun with a finish like the XD9 sub. But I was wondering if there is a cleaner out there that should not be used on this type of finish? Are there any cleaners that would eat away this type of finish? thanks

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Normal gun cleaning products should be fine. I just use Hoppes #9 most of the time. I would probably avoid Carb cleaner, but even that might not hurt it. It shouldn't need anything exotic. I've dumped mine in an ultrasonic cleaner and hit it with CLP when it was done. I've heard of people running Glocks through the dishwasher. I don't think you can hurt them without actually trying.

3. GIBro

GIBro New Member

I use a bore snake. It takes less time than using the cleaning rod the XDs have. If you use a rod, make sure you ram it straight so you won't create any burrs inside the barrel.

4. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Good point Bro

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

my thoughts on it is when i wear the finish off my xdm's im just gonna have em nitrated or whatever is the latest kickass finish at the time. or maybe have em colored pink. ive always wanted a nice pink and black tiger stripe handgun

mine are carry guns so if they got some wear i dont care. but hoppes #9 and clp work perfectly fine and wont hurt the finish.

6. kpeter4

kpeter4 New Member

Yea, I was told to keep cleaeaning solutions and oil off the polymer though, so I make sure to a little careful around that area. Love the gun (9mm) and field stripping takes seconds.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

gun oils wont hurt polymers. clp is sufficient to get carbon residue off :)

8. kpeter4

kpeter4 New Member

Thanks, John. I'll pass it on.

9. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Is this what you are asking for?

t_167000021_3.jpg

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Hoppes and brake clean.

11. kpeter4

kpeter4 New Member

Thank you gentlemen.

12. redteck215

redteck215 New Member

Im not new to cleaning but im cerious as to what the clp stuff is?

13. redteck215

redteck215 New Member

That stuff sounds real good but is it a to good to be true thing? Or is it really the bees knees?

14. Staestc

Staestc New Member

I have been using Hoppe's and have not tried it. But in all the reading I have done here, a lot of folks love it.

15. redteck215

redteck215 New Member

I have only been using hoppes as well. I have been cleaning guns since i was 14 i am now 22. Ive had my own gun since 16. It was a 12 gauge. But i have only used hoppes and never tried anything else cause its always worked for me and my vuzin who is a smith recomended it. I think i may order a bottle tonight. I mean for 16 bucks. Its worth a shot i supose.

16. PADRE24

PADRE24 New Member

I was told that the gun scrubber spray wasn't safe or good to use on polymer pieces.

17. chazzy

chazzy New Member

I've got the bug spray can of hopps....when I originally started this thread, I was concerned because it seemed as if the finish on the barrel of my xd9 sub sort of thinned and came off a little. I sprayed some on a clean cloth and wiped the barrel. So now I'm a little leary...

18. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Lmao....I meant I've got the BIG spray can.

19. PADRE24

PADRE24 New Member

Bug spray is good for Mosquitos, but not your gun..LOL