Cleaning the Ruger 10/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Commocarl, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Hey guys, I have posted a few times on the Mini-14 Forum but not here. I am finally in a place in my life that I can afford to buy rifles (it was either this or a motorcycle, and I'm cheap). Yep I am into my early 40's >.>. Use this excuse the next time your expenses on a firearm get questioned by your better half :)
    Needless to say, shooting the Mini is a blast. But as I stated before, I'm cheap. I have put around 650 rounds through the mini at this point and have, roughly 800 rounds "in stock". At .37 cents a round, it is getting expensive. Last saturday I put 160 rounds through her, so that outing cost me almost well over 50 bucks.
    I was in the navy for 8 years in my youth so I have been around military weapons of all sorts. It's a damn shame I can't own a .50 cal M2HB machine gun, I have shot it from a tripod and deck mount, gives me wood just thinking about it.
    As I was in the Navy, and not a Gunnersmate, I never got to spend much time with them to get accurate. So now is finally my time. Because of the expense of shooting .223/5.56 and my sending away my rifle to Gundoc for some accurizing, I decided to get the 10/22 to improve my technique and accuracy. I have purchased and am waiting on tech-site's ghost ring sights (peep sites) for both the mini and the 10/22 so the sighting system's are the same.
    I finally found an all weather 10/22 locally today and brought her home. I don't expect her to be a competition target accurate weapon, but I want to use it for accuracy training. I broke her down this evening to clean the manufacturing out of her before shooting tomorrow. Now I have questions.
    I watched the Ruger videos to make sure I didn't mess anything up. There was nothing mentioned about putting an oiled patch through the bore after the cleaning solvent. I am just wanting to make sure that this is correct.
    I have read lots of conflicting stuff on the break in, and haven't heard anything about oiling the bore so I thought I would bother you fine folks.
    The mini isn't my destination, I am aiming at shooting accurately with bolt action .308 one of these days to harvest venison in my local area. I am on my own personal journey to accuracy, I am really not worried about how long it takes.
    Thanks
    Commocarl

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It should be fine. The ruger 10/22 is a highly accurate and reliable gun. You can shoot the sh*t out of it and it will keep going. I cleaned one the other day and it had enough leading in it that I could probably have melted it down and made 20 rounds for it.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i always run a couple of dry patches after the final solvent patch then run an oiled path and then a dry patch to get the excess out. thats what i do on all my guns not just 10/22

4. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I always do that on my mini, which is why I was wondering.
    Also, if I am shooting for accuracy should I use jacketed ammo, or will lead do?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends. lead is typically more accurate but not all 22lr is the same. try various makes to see what shoots the best.

6. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I bought a brick of each, going to really air it out tomorrow :)

7. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I got my tech sights in, and have realized I built a Liberty Training Rifle.

The guys at tech sights sent targets, and a flyer along with my order. I never heard of appleseed before. I am glad to see there is quite a large comunity of people out there teaching marksmanship.

8. srb4085

srb4085 New Member

They sponsor shoot in every state in the union. Check out Www.appleseedinfo.com

Corvette

9. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Same here i always run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel after cleaning. The way i see it is i do it on all of my weapons, its not gonna hurt and will preserve the barrel. Thats the way i was tought and thats the way i teach my son. Its his .22 and he loves cleaning after were done shooting. Good luck with the Ruger!

10. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I checked, there are several in Texas. Just none anywhere near me. With my time in the Navy, and some articles on the net, I have the basics. Just have to practice.

11. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I live right on the Pacific Ocean. Two of my 10/22s were left in my gun safe for 15 years with no oil in the barrel or any TLC whatever. When I got back into shooting, every component was pristine and there was no corrosion in the barrels. Both shoot as nice as when they were new. So I guess oil in the barrel is not that big of a thing.

Nothing wrong with running a lightly oiled patch down the barrel after cleaning it, of course. But I do not do it. I clean all my firearms the way the US Army taught me. First a bore brush to knock the crud off the barrel innards. Then several patches soaked in Hoppes #9 or equivalent, then dry patches until they come out clean. This has worked for me for 40 years.

12. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I do the exact same thing

13. xdm6951

xdm6951 New Member

I use a bore snake

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought one in the early '90s. I cleaned it twice. Once soon after I got it and the second time after I had forgotten what a pain in the butt it was to reassemble. I have shot it hundreds of times without cleaning it, and it does fine. If it ever stops, I might clean it again.....

15. Redleg

Redleg New Member

What part of reassembling the 10/22 did you find to be a pain? Putting the bolt/charging handle assembly back together requires a little trick, but that is about it. I clean my 10/22s after every shoot, same as all my weapons. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

16. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

for the barrel i do the same as the OP. clean it, dry it, one lightly oiled patch before putting up.

now on the action, i have two methods.
    first option is to completly dissasemble the rifle except for removing the barrel. then clean and oil each metal part. this is done between shooting sessons (usually Sunday evening while watching sports) or when the rifle even burps wrong. :)

second is to rinse the action in a light weight oil unitl it runs clear. then wipe down everything i can get to. this is usually done after each day's outing or at the range when i get past a brick of ammo through it in a day. I tend to shoot mostly on weekends so this tends to be my Saturday routine. I have shot two bricks in a day when someone else was loading the mags for me. :D gotta luv enthusiastic kids!