Firearms Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loved benchrest shooting , a completely blueprinted Rem 700 308 with a match grade barrel , shooting every Sunday with a group of great people . One of the things everyone did to clean out the trigger assembly's mostly Jewell's , was to flush out with Charcoal lighter fluid , it cleaned and left a light lube. Jumping back to revolvers , l was thinking instead of removing the side plate , removing the grips and flushing the insides from the trigger , hammer and grip area , letting it drain and dry would be just as good . What is your thoughts.
Chri

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Side plate? I lube my Rugers at regular intervals without taking anything apart. I don’t think revolver internals need to be lubed with every cleaning. Although they might if you wash of the lube with lighter fluid.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Notrighty
I was talking about S&W's that have a side plate , I use Charcoal lighter fluid on my 1911's it cleans and lightly lubs everything . You can feel the lube that remains after the fluid dries . Give it a try , Charcoal lighter fluid not just lighter fluid the Charcoal has more oil.. I clean after every firing , my guns clean pretty easy.
Chris
Be Well Lefty

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Maybe I’ll give it a whirl next time I clean one up. I’ve probably tried everything else at least once.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If I were going to use a flush method I would use GT85. It leaves Teflon behind. Not oily or sticky. I use the flush method on my Hi Point 995 and it works like a charm. Go ahead and laugh at my gun. It works all of the time and is accurate within it's range. Bore gets snaked.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts

It’s really not appropriate to laugh at anything when you shoot one of these.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If I were going to use a flush method I would use GT85. It leaves Teflon behind. Not oily or sticky. I use the flush method on my Hi Point 995 and it works like a charm. Go ahead and laugh at my gun. It works all of the time and is accurate within it's range. Bore gets snaked.
My Hi-Point 4595 is 3 or 4 years old now, I have done nothing to it but shoot it. No oil, or cleaning of the bore. I just took it out tonight and was hitting my spinner target at 40 yards with no problem:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maineiak
3 or 4 years without doing nothing to it except shoot it. Sounds like you have a shooter there , you bring back memories , our door gunners dunked the 60's in JP4 to clean and dripped dried , they do deserves a good cleaning every once an awhile.
Chris

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speedy
Wish we had Blackhawks in my day . I was grunt back then , door gunners used 60's , cobra's and mini guns towards the end of my time in country , what a S Hole , cleaned my 16 when ever I could , a real cleaning. Be well and Safe.
Chris

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Speedy
My mind drifted , after reading your post again you were talking Ruger Blackhawk , there is still some carbon fouling buildup inside , maybe a flush out every once an awhile wouldn't hurt. Sorry .
Chris

·
Registered
936 Posts
Maineiak
3 or 4 years without doing nothing to it except shoot it. Sounds like you have a shooter there , you bring back memories , our door gunners dunked the 60's in JP4 to clean and dripped dried , they do deserves a good cleaning every once an awhile.
Chris
This type of carbine does not require any lube between recommended cleaning intervals. The manual says to brush the barrel after 300 to 400 rounds, and thoroughly breakdown and clean after 1,500 to 2,000 rounds. I think I have just about 400 rounds through the rifle at this point in time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maineiak
I learned something new , if the manual says that then I would follow the instructions . That is new to me , didn't know anything about the Hi-Point 4595 . Interesting , after 3 or 4 years of shooting it without any malfunctions . I'm going to take a look at it. I was always taught to clean after shooting , old habits are hard to change . BeSafe.
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Over maintenance of anything is ok but I like to do the correct amount and no more. I’ve shot my SP101 to the point that she was sticky with lead and really needed cleaning. It’s all a matter of how much time you got .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats not right , Notrighty
Was it that day of shooting alot or not cleaning until it got sticky with lead . I'm sure I don't have to tell you how small the gap is between the cylinder face and barrel . I'm posting most of the time on my carry revolver or auto . A range firearn if you want to push it to their limits is one thing but a carry should be kept in like new condition. Hope things are going well and keep that bad boy 101 clean.
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
No I don’t carry the sp 101 although I could. When she stickied up with lead I had just started casting my own bullets. I got better and cleaner loads now and the gun shoots about 300 rounds before I even think about cleaning. But lately I’ve been powder coating most all of my bullets. I fire them at jacketed pressure and they are clean . I recommend everyone try powder coating if you cast your own bullets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never hurts to take down the old shooting iron and get out the Q tips for a good once over.

Oxidation like old age has no holiday.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just started to shoot hard cast bullets in my 38spl.2 & 3" S&W 148WC & 158 SWC with a mild load , haven't made my own yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I removed the side plate on my old carry model 65 3" HB S&W , the inside was not too bad , very little fouling , remover the trigger return block and spring , polished the base of the block installed the old original S&W spring from the lighter wolf #13 spring . The stronger spring makes the action feel better to me , just as smooth and more positive . I feel the original S&,W springs are better then the replacement springs , even at the end of the spring it's ground down to a flat surface , given more attention to detail. Just my feeling . Guess things are sometimes better left alone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts