Cleaning tarnished stainless???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by thefarmboy21, Jun 8, 2013.

1. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

A few months ago I had a house fire and all my guns were damaged. Now I'm trying to get them all cleaned up and looking good as new. Two in particular I need help with are my Kahr CM9 and my stainless Taurus PT-99.

The stainless on both is all tarnished and almost marble looking especially on the Taurus. Not sure if it was from the heat, the water or the water hitting the hot metal perhaps. Regardless, I shot both today and they shoot great. Brake cleaner nor Froglube will clean up the tarnish. Not sure if it can be polished out or not. I'm afraid the pattern is all the way through the metal BUT I don't think either got that hot. Didn't melt the grips or anything on either pistol....just nasty looking metal parts now.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

IF it didn't get hot enough to melt the plastic grips or frame, the structurally you should be ok.

You can try Flitz metal polish. If that doesn't take the stains out of the metal, then you may want to consider having them refinished with a bake on finish, or bead blasted.

3. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

The discoloration is only on the surface. It may require some abrasion to remove, but it can be done.

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Try the lead removing cloth. I think it's Bircheood Casey. It polished my 629 just fine. A good start before going too abrasive.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Another vote for the Birchwood Casey cloth. If that does not work, Flitz, soft cloth, rub til your arm falls off, switch hands. And temps lower than melting point of plastics- heat treatment and temper of springs should be OK.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I've used Mothers mag and aluminum polish to shine up a gun to a mirror like finish. Just use a surgical glove and rub your fingertip in circular motions and wah lah!

7. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Mothers as stated above.

8. c3shooter

Sorry- Mother told me to stay out of her polish, and buy my own!

:p

9. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

1. Where do I get the birch wood Casey cloth?
    2. You just use mothers by itself and a glove?

I figured is have to use a Dremel and a buffing wheel or Nevr-dull or something.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Farmboy,

I would advise to pay attention to what DOC advised. If the grips melted at all you may be courting a disaster. Just because they shot good today does not mean that they will not rupture some day. But as he stated if the grips did not melt you are normally good to go. Water and heat could have easily created the surface tarnish you spoke of. Flitz is my suggestion. I have used it on my stainless revolvers and it puts a tremendously good shine on them. Most if I continued looked like a chrome revolver.

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Mothers polish found in the white and red can at your local car parts stores is great. Just use a surgical glove, dab a tiny bit of polish on your gloved fingertip and rub. It will turn black as it is working. A rag will also work, but the rag makes the polish dry out faster, so then you'd have to keep adding more polish. The surgical glove makes the polish go a long ways. When the polish dries out, then get a rag and wipe away the black, and wah lah!

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I've had good luck w Flitz but it is a non abrasive cleaner which also protects for up to 6 mths. I bought in qty but you might want to try a small tube to see if it works first.

13. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Flitz is abrasive. I know it says it isn't, but you can't polish without abrasion.

14. c3shooter

STEP AWAY FROM THE DREMEL. NO ONE HAS TO GET HURT. JUST LAY THE DREMEL ON THE FLOOR AND STEP BACK FROM IT.

Honestly, for most things, Dremels and guns should not be in the same room. It is SO much easier to remove steel than to put it back. While the polishes are generally very low abrasive, the felt wheel itself has some abrasion- and you can start rounding over sharp edges, dishing out screw holes, etc.

Classical signs of a really, REALLY bad reblue job- someone got carried away with metal prep. Stick with the hand work. It will take longer, but you will not have to enroll in a Remedial Profanity class to express your unhappiness with what happened.

15. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Really!! c3 have you done everything your mother ever told you to do?

Don't really have anything useful to add on the ops subject, just couldn't resist commenting!! :D

16. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

The grips aren't melted at all. They were just wet for several hours. Most of the damage was smoke/water damage. The roof was on fire for over 4 hours PLUS they dumped 22,000 gallons of water on it. BUT only the LCP was in the actual fire part and Ruger replaced it.

17. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

Farmboy, do you happen to live near centerville, indiana? Just curious a buddy of mine i work with had a buddy whos house burnt and he had several guns.

18. c3shooter

Well, Mom did tell me to beware of talking to ladies that were strangers.....

So I made sure I introduced myself to them.

:p:p

19. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

No, southern Ohio. Only place I've ever lived lol

20. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

Well the mothers and rubber glove seems to be working, but I'm not getting the shine/polished look I was hoping for. May just need modify my polishing motion into even smaller circular motions.