Cleaning Ruger Stainless .44 Mag

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by allruger, Aug 11, 2009.

1. allruger

allruger New Member

I'm new at this so here goes...I own a Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan in a Stainless .44 Mag. Does anyone know how to clean off the powder burns on the end of the chamber and at the start of the barrell?? I've tried Hoppes #9 and a couple of other cleaning solvents. The stains are still there. Thanks

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A "Lead Free Cloth". Yellow treated cloth sold at most gun shops. Will wipe off the powder residue from the cylinder face. DO NOT use it one a blued or nickled gun. It WILL remove the finish. They can be cut into squares to remove leading from the barrel.

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

FLITZ Metal Polish will remove that nasty GSR stains instantly. Flitz is ALL I use on the exterior of my stainless steel guns.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ya, Flitz is good too.

5. allruger

allruger New Member

Thanks. My wife had some Amway Metal Cleaner that I tried last night. The stains came right off. A lot cheaper that Flitz.

6. allruger

allruger New Member

Thanks, I tried some Amway Metal Cleaner last nite and the stains came right off. No work involved. It's a lot cheaper that Flitz. Ever tried it??

7. Mark F

There is nothing more beautiful than a clean stainless wheelgun!

8. allruger

allruger New Member

Amway LOC Metal Cleaner. 8.8 oz for $4.50. Huge savings over Flitz and apparently works just as good. Thought you might want to know. Thanks

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Hoppe's Quick Clean - Rust and Lead removing cloth. It will remove all carbon, lead, and rust from stainless and make it shine. It really works well in bores when cut into patches to remove barrel leading, and for removing the carbon on the face of the cylinder, the forcing cone, crane, and frame of revolvers. One package will last years.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Is this a Amway infomercial? Asked the question and after given good advice came back with "My wife had some Amway Metal Cleaner, Amway LOC Metal Cleaner. 8.8 oz for $4.50" ?

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Yeah, this cloth I buy for my stainless S&W 629, called lead wipe, works pretty well, but it is still alot of work to get the lead out from the cheap lead wad cutters I shoot, especially at the pressure cone area of the barrel.

BTW, I only have this problem when shooting cheap lead wad cutters. When I have used ammo for hunting with this "Hog Leg", I have no problems cleaning afterwards. (copper clad) I have hunted and taken pig with this pistol. Thats what I bought it for. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought it in a blued steel version.

12. Mark F

I have taken out many feral pigs with my Ruger Bisley 44 Mag. I use a 330 grain hard cast bullet for bone breaking & deep penetration. I do get some leading but it's easy to clean.

13. allruger

allruger New Member

Get over it!!! I bought a tube of flitz for over $20 bucks. The amway product works better and for less that $5 bucks for 8.8 oz. I do not sell amway. Just trying to help you and others save some $$$$$$$$

14. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I do sell AmWay and can attest... well, not really. Easy dude, I think WDB was just razzin' a little.

Anywho, does EITHER Flitz or the Amway stuff effect the way the finish matches the rest of the gun that is not wiped with it? I have only used the lead removal clothes that have been mentioned.

15. Mark F

Flitz will not damage any finish what so ever, but it will easily remove GSR and lead.

I do not own stock in Flitz, nor do I work for them. It's just a great product. One tube of Flitz will last a life-time, so who gives a crap if it costs a buck or two more...

16. allruger

allruger New Member

I would use the AmWay LOC Metal cleaner on stainless guns only. They say the flitz is safe for blued guns also. Don't know. I can not tell any difference between rubed and unrubed parts of my Rugers via either products. thanks.

17. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I've used Federal 300 grain castcore on the piggeys and it seems to work well too.