Firearms Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W Trooper 357 service rev. I have had it under my pillow for 10 years. It is now caked with a thin film of hardened body oil from my head and pillow.

If you buff it with a wheel it will come off and give a good shinny finish again.

I can't get into a lot of places with the wheel so is there some kind of liquid I could use such as acetone or lacquer thinner? (that wouldn't hurt the nickel or under layer of copper?

Thanks, CK

·
Registered
213 Posts
Flitz and a buffer wheel. It'll take time and energy but you'll do it. I tried a couple different compounds but flitz worked the best.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Line Gun barrel

Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Took a friends S&W from this

Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

To this!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,832 Posts
GrtWhytHype said:
Flitz and a buffer wheel. It'll take time and energy but you'll do it. I tried a couple different compounds but flitz worked the best.

Took a friends S&W from this

To this!
Damn!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
If it is just the oil with no pitting, you could completely disassemble it and put it in hot water with dawn detergent. Use a soft cloth or brush. Then remove it and rise it well with hot, hot water. Dry it completely, you can use a hair dryer, or even put the parts in an oven on low for about 15 minutes. Then oil it and reassemble.

Soap and water is not a bad cleaning soulution as long as you dry things well and oil when you are done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts