Cleaning my Glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by JK7706, Jun 9, 2013.

1. JK7706

JK7706 New Member

When I purchased my glock 21 SF the man at the show who cleaned and lubed it initially said not to use Hoppes for cleaning . So I used a product called Ballistol. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I've heard of a lot of people that like Ballistol. I have never heard to NOT use Hoppes. I've used it for years.

3. indy36

indy36 New Member

I've tried everything and if you can get past the smell, Ballistol is the best. I like Remington's Brite Bore as a finisher inside the barrel.

4. JK7706

JK7706 New Member

Spilled hoppes on my desk pad cleaning my 1911. the smell made me pitch a real nice leather desk pad. I thought ballistol was an improvement myself

5. nate913

nate913 New Member

I use hoppes as well. Was that a personal opinion of his. Never heard not to use Hoppes.

6. JK7706

JK7706 New Member

He operates a business out of Florida called KingGlock, primarily to repair , do trigger and sight jobs, sell parts. He described hoppes as very corrosive to the Glock. Possibly the effect it may have on the polymer parts? He showed me how to disasemble and lubricate my glock , examined it thoroughly lubed and put it back together at no charge. And, I did not buy the gun from him.

7. danolator

danolator New Member

The dude probably has a deal with Ballistol. Hoppes will not hurt any part of your Glock or any other gun.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  8. JK7706

JK7706 New Member

Well, maybe,but he never told me what to use. Just said stay away from hoppes. You are right though, probably won't hurt, and it sure does a good job of cleaning

9. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

I've used Hoppes on my Glock 17 since day one. 25,000+ rounds and no failures due to the weapon. You know what they say about opinions :)

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You say he is selling parts? What exactly do you mean?

11. JK7706

JK7706 New Member

He installed night sights and was capable of changing out the spring on the trigger, had those kind of parts. Did not actually sell me parts, he supplied them for the install

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

OK. Big difference. Him getting the parts and installing them is all good. If he is selling you the parts then either he is not a glock armorer or he won't be for long. Selling glock parts is a big no-no.

13. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

There is just something about the Hoppe fragrance and that fresh coffee smell early in the morning :)! Have used Hoppes since 1970 on all my firearms, which includes all of my polymer framed guns. Never have had any issues with its use. I still use it but also use ballistol and CLP as well. If you like Hoppes, USE it.

14. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

I've known a lot of people to use Hoppes on Glocks. Also heard Ballistol is just as good. Never know

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Directly from the armorer manual.
    "Any product that is advertised and/or marketed for use on guns may be used on glock pistols. "

16. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Sorry my Glocks don't get cleaned.

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

??????????

18. cotex

cotex New Member

No sh@t,I rarely clean my glocks that often. Lazy I guess, never had a failure of any kind in twenty plus years. I mean I wipe um down but not clean.

19. danolator

danolator New Member

I wish I could avoid the urge and not clean my guns, but I clean them after every firing, Once I shot 8 rounds of JHP through my LC9 while at the range playing with my G19. I got home, field stripped the Glock, cleaned it and put it away. I decided not to clean the Ruger since I only shot one mag + 1 in the chamber. Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't stand it. Cleaned the Ruger & went back to bed.

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Just because the glock will continue to run without being cleaned doesn't mean it is smart to do so.
    You are just asking for failure and shortening the life of the parts.
    Glocks do need to be maintained and parts do need to be replaced occasionally.