Cleaning media

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by nate, Feb 5, 2011.

1. nate

nate New Member

So I got some brass from a buddy that was pretty nasty looking. I'm using corn cob media and it took a good wile to get the brass decent looking. I was wondering if anyone ever used sand or glass bead like you would use in a bead blaster. Was just a random thought I had. My biggest concern would be it generating too much heat.

2. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Generally, walnut media is more aggressive than corn cob. Walnut for cleaning cruddy cases corn cob for polishing.

You may want to try some of the additives that are available for the media as well.

Lyman Turbo Charger Media Reactivator 4 oz - MidwayUSA

The other alternative I have see is stainless steel pins, but you've got to foot the bill for a new tumbler...

Home page

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

walnut is superb for cleaning very dirty brass but it is extremely dusty

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Walnut, nuff said.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Another member said he uses rice (uncooked). I tried it and it works really well. It's cheap, too.

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I use Walnut for preliminary cleaning of really dirty brass, Tip I got a while back was to mix in some of the red rubbing compound paste found at your auto parts store. Cuts down on the dust and helps clean the brass a bit. I'll then run it through a second time with treated corncob to get them to really shine
    ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Turtle-Wax-T-230A-Rubbing-Compound-Paste-315-ml%7C41ZZX0HD0FL._SL75_.jpg

Have quite a few buddies that swear by "Lizard Litter" from their local pet stores. Cheaper than "case cleaning media" and supposedly just as effective

7. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

The Lyman red colored "Tufnut" is ground nut shell impregnated with red jeweler's rouge. I keep one of my two tumblers loded with the red stuff to clean really discolored brass (mainly range pick-ups). It is a bit messy as it will leave a coating of fine red dust in the tumbler's work area and on your hands when you separate the brass, but it does a really fine job of shining up very ugly tarnished brass.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

On the nasty dirty range pick up I use walnut to blow the chunks off. then switch to Corn cob to give it a nice shine. I use either Midwayusa brass polish or Nu Finish in the cobb.