cleaning cosmoline

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JonM, Feb 6, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

so i bought a spare barrel for my new 03a3. its covered in cosmoline. whats the most effective way to clean this gunk at home?? in the army i used a big parts washing bin. dont have access to that here.

2. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Water, preferably running and as hot as you can stand and Simple Green (lots of it) has worked well enough for me.

I use heavy duty PVC gloves when I do it. Keeps the gunk off you but helps insulate your hands so you can stand to keep them under the hot water.

If you don't want to be environmentally friendly, half a dozen cans of break cleaner and a pile of rags makes quick work of it.

I don't envy your task. Good luck.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i got an old tub i use to wash mower blades and get gunk off small parts so break cleaner works i can just put it in some old bottles after im done.

hotwater sounds unpleasent and time consuming. wont be mucking with it till late spring anyway it can sit till then.

4. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

go to your local home depot/lowes the paint department will sell gallon cans of acetone or lacquer thinner for a whole less money than brake cleaner. If you wash your parts in a tub then you can filter and reuse it too.

5. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Brake Cleaner that I pay a dollar for at the Dollar Store

6. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

^^^^^Yup^^^^^

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I use mineral spirits. I've been told by gunsmiths that brake cleaner is to harsh on bluing. Not sure of the truth in that, but I'd rather play it safe.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

mineral spirits it is then i dont want to ruin the finish

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats a fantastic pdf!! hand steamer seems doable outdoors. i cant use my tap water since its softened and has a slight salt content. salt + heat = rust. but a hand steamer makes it doable with distilled water.

10. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Try methods as discussed on surplusrifle.com. If you're not getting started til this spring I would let it alone. After all, it is a preservative.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

im gonna read every thing i can im allergic to work. break out in a rash and all. yeah its gonna sit till spring. i dont wanna screw the barrel up either cleaning it poorly.

lots of good info on a vile task so far.

12. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Thanks for posting that. I have an M44 with cosmo up the barrel that I am going to be cleaning this weekend. It had not occurred to me that my wife's steam cleaner could be of use there.

13. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

14. chip102

chip102 New Member

No problem.

15. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

The steam cleaner worked like a CHAMP! I found a nice shiny bore under all that yuck :)

16. m72law

m72law New Member

brake cleaner & air compressor
    & saftey glasses :D

17. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Heat lamp and a trash can. Keep the firearm vertical.

Looks like a bucket of ear wax rolling off of it.:eek:

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Tried something today. In past I have used mineral spirits, brake cleaner spray, heat, simple green, etc ad infintum.

Just picked up a Mauser 24/47 that had HEAVY cosmoline. I could have put a frickin' WICK in the thing, and used it for a candle. Too cold to go play outside with brake cleaner.

Handling rifle, got really dry cosmo on my hands. Did not want to wipe off, just sort of smear. Oh, yuck- where's the hand cleaner? Grabbed my tube of Goop (orange based) squirted a dab in hands, rubbed, cosmo gone. Hey- wait a minute!

Stripped action out of stock, broke it down, grabbed a chunk of Mauser, tube of Goop, and a nylon brush. Scrubbed for a few seconds, dunked under hot running water- and- well, I'll be danged- nice shiny Mauser. Even dunked bore brush in Goop, cleaned out the cosmo in the bore.

Took a dab of Goop, rubbed stock by hand, wiped down with paper towels. Rised all metal parts under hot water, dried (yard sale blow dyer on workbench comes in handy) Oiled parts, reassembled. Looks really good.

My tube of Goop was a buck from the dollar store. Figure I used about 7 cents worth. No gloves, no danger of setting self on fire, etc.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

During the summer, I just wait for a nice hot day and stand them up in the backyard in the sun.

Or, a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight will melt it off. Just keep it moving.

Once it melts off a blast with break cleaner from Wally World does the metal, and rags do the wood.