Cleaning chamber

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by tken, Jan 1, 2014.

1. tken

tken New Member

I looking for some advice on how to clean a .410 chamber that had a paper shell loaded in it for a long time. Long story short I had a bolt action .410 given to me but the chamber has pieces of paper shell in it. I have tried using a brush to get it out but it will not come out. Any advice on how to clean it out would be appreciated

2. nosaj

nosaj New Member

When in doubt..... soak in mineral spirits

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Rubber stopper. Solvent soaked over night followed by a wire brush on a low speed drill.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, the paper likely attracted moisture, and the metal under the paper rusted.

Would start by wetting the chamber with a good penetrating oil. I am partial to Kroil, but there are others. Let soak overnight.

Take a .50 cal borebrush, wet with some additional penetrant, battery powered drill, slow speed, moving in and out for about 60 seconds. Then mop the chamber, inspect, re-wet, soak and repeat as needed.

If the chamber is rough from rust (pitting) you MAY be able to make it better (not good, just better) by using the drill and a VERY mild abrasive such as JB Bore Shine, or even toothpaste. Be sure to remove any trace of the polishing product after use. Lightly oil chamber.

5. tken

tken New Member

Thanks for all the advice! I'll be trying to get it clean this weekend!