Cleaning brass question on primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by BullseyePrecision, Feb 29, 2012.

1. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

Do u remove the primers before putting them in the tumbler for cleaning or does it matter?

2. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

I remove the primers because that cavity gets a lot of build up. Just be prepared to poke stuck pieces of media out of the primer hole...

3. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I clean first because I have to run the brass thru the sizing die to decap. I don't want to run dirty brass thru the die. I have an RCBS case prep center that I use to clean primer pockets.

4. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Same here, I don't want to run dirty brass through my dies. Fired brass usually has all kinds of nasty grit on it that can scratch the dies. My reloading dies are just like any other equipment I use and I try to take care of them.

5. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

Good point. I have only been reloading a couple of years, and didn't really consider whether or not I was fouling my dies. I mostly reload pistol where there isnt as much drag and lube isnt required. It probably really makes a difference on rifle casings.

6. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

I throw them in the tumbler for an hour or so just to knock of the dirt and grit. Then I size/ decap and expand the mouth. Then I put them back in the tumbler over night. Its more work but they get nice and clean without having to use a primer pocket cleaner. I do have to poke out the flash hole once in a while.

7. BullseyePrecision

I have a progressive reloader so decapping then takinging them out and cleaning them would be a pain.

8. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

How do you get the carbon build up out of the primer pocket then?

9. BullseyePrecision

I havent done any yet so I dont know. Do u have a progressive?

10. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

No just an old school single stage press.

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

You use the old primer pocket cleaning tool that has been around for a long time. It has a screwdriver-type handle with stiff wires bunched up on the end. It works great for cleaning primer pockets and doesn't take very long.

This is the type I have been using for about 30 years. There are similar types made by different manufacturers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  12. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Yes that's what I use on the really stuck on stuff. I was referring to a progressive press that de-primes then seats a new primer. That defeats the point of having a progressive press if you have to run everything through twice anyway to clean to primer pocket.

13. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I have progressive presses it's no big deal to run the case thru again. It is an extra step but if you want clean primer pockets it's your only choice. I can run cases thru that step twice and still be many times faster than a single stage press. With the RCBS prep center you can also remove the crimp on military brass. You can prep hundreds of cases in an hour. I've thought about getting a single stage press just to decap.

14. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I am new to reloading but I bought a Lee Universal decapping die that works on all calibers and does not require that the cases be cleaned. I do find a big difference in cleaning the decapped brass. The primer pockets come out nice and clean.

15. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Unfortunately this is a manual operation. If your shooting on target rounds (ie: 1moa), you should clean up the primer pockets. If your not into super accurate shooting, you can reload them and be happy. However, I clean all of my primer pockets, both for the MG's and my SA M1a. Why because the crud that is left in the primer pocket after sizing gets into the priming station and then proceeds to gum it all up.

16. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I don't see a problem with taking the time to clean the primer pockets. It takes just a few seconds per round to do this. I don't mind doing this because I enjoy reloading and find it to be very relaxing. I have known people who do not clean the primer pockets and I have seen carbon buildup in their brass that is so thick the primer won't seat properly. I have been reloading for about 30 years and still do not have a progressive press. I am still using my RCBS Rock Chucker press. I don't even use a powder thrower; I weigh the powder charge for each round. Cleaning the primer pockets is no big deal.

17. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I always tumble my cases and then size and decap. Then I put them back in the tumbler for about an hour to remove the sizing lubricant.
    Always check all the flashholes for cleaning media and then clean the pockets.
    Cleaning the pockets adds consistency to your reloading and is almost absolutely necessary if you load for autoloading military rifles such as M1 and M1A.

18. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

After my cleaned and polished rifle brass is sized I take a rag and some 99% isopropyl alcohol and wipe the lubricant off the cases. The alcohol removes the lubricant without leaving a film. I use Hornady One Shot for sizing lube and it works great and is not messy.