Cleaning a revolver's barrel

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ransom63, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ransom63

ransom63 New Member

I've owned a couple revolvers for a little while now & have never been satisfied with the cleaning job on my barrels, not being able to work straight from the breech end. Just how can a get a bore brush through without going from the end of the barrel? This sounds amateurish, but I could use some answers here!

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm interested to see the answers here, too.

I am new to guns and own a revolver. I have been cleaning it from the muzzle end with a bore brush then cleaning patches. I am sure to push the brush all the way through then back. But I am very nervous about ruining the rifling in the barrel of my gun.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A bronze or brass brush will not hurt your barrel. Avoid stainless steel brushes and you'll be fine. There really aren't any alternative ways to clean from the breech end that I'm aware of other than a bore snake.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

its time consuming but i just send the rod down sans brush screw the brush on and pull. repeat as needed. but i only got one revolver i shoot very infrequently

5. winds-of-change

Does a bore snake clean it good enough? I thought I needed a brush, too. As I said, I don't want to ruin the rifling but as you've said, I shouldn't ruin it with a brass brush, which is what I have. Because my gun knowledge is so limited, I'm always afraid I'm going to make a mistake with handling my gun. I want it to last my lifetime........and my children's lifetime.......and I have a wonderful granddaughter, too. :D

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take a close look at a bore snake. There is a brush imbedded.

7. winds-of-change

Ah, thank you. I didn't know that. I think I'm doing okay cleaning my gun but I may look into a bore snake. Are they reusable? Do you need to clean them?

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I believe that the bore snake will come with instructions on how to maintain them. Good luck!

9. SilenceDogood

SilenceDogood New Member

Chalk up another vote for Boresnake. They clean remarkably well.

SILENCE DOGOOD

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I have never had an issue cleaning my revolvers from the muzzle. I'm careful to stay away from the crown and clean like I would any other weapon. If you are really concerned about the crown there are guides you can buy for a few dollars.

11. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

I have used a Bore Snake on my .357 and it does wonders (the 9mm work fine on the 38sp/357).

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I like bore snakes, but some people don't care for them at all. For a really good cleaning, I prefer a rod and brush followed by patches.

However, I use a bore snake on my Mini14 and my 10/22 because they're such a pain to clean with a rod. Everything else gets the rod and brush treatment.

I wet them down with solvent before I run them through the bore and they work fine.

Bore snakes are washable. I toss mine in the washer with gun rags and other stuff that's too nasty to wash in a regular load.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

14. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

I have used a boresnake and a rod and brush from the business end. I like the boresnake. The hardest place to clean for me is at the breech end just above the breech between there and the top strap:confused:

15. DocWard

DocWard New Member

I've become a big fan of the bore snake.

16. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

I clean a lot of guns for the gun shops, and I have found that OTIS has the best cleaning kits, they have flexible rods that can go from the breech, you just screw in your loop, apply a wet patch, run it through once, screw the brush into the other end, run it through 3-5 times, remove the brush, put a dry patch in, run it through twice, repeat until at least relatively clean :p, it works wonders, I am not sure why no one knows about them, I attached a link to the OTIS website.

Otis Technology

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm sorry, but that is just Dead Frikkin Sexy right there! :D Do you clean windows too?

Imagine, a woman who will clean your guns for you; damn, i gotta develop some standards.

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As Samples stated. I like the OTIS Cleaning Kits for my pistols. Even though as mentioned if you have a rod and brush that will not damage the crown you are good to go. I have cleaned from the muzzle end for eons. But in the past five years only use the OTIS Kit on my pistols. Check them out on their website.

19. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

Yeah but I use vinegar and coffee filters for my windows :cool:

20. DocWard

DocWard New Member

I'm familiar with the OTIS kits. They were issue items during my last deployment. I certainly have no complaints about them, but more than a few guys still used their bore snakes.

Vinegar and coffee filters, huh?