cleaning a revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by winds-of-change, Jan 6, 2014.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

As many of you know, I have a Ruger GP 100. I have never taken the cylinder off when cleaning this gun. Should I be? I thought someone told me if you take the cylinder off, you could be messing up the timing. Is this true? Should I be removing the cylinder of my revolver to properly clean it?

2. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

No you really don't have to take the cylinder off for proper cleaning....

Also removing the cylinder and crane is easy. It "will not" adversely effect the "timing" of the pistol.

3. towboater

towboater Active Member

Agrees with above post.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I use CLP powder blast to clean my revolvers. Powder blast removes any old grese and oil without tearing the pistol down. Then I use plain old CLP to lubricate my revolvers. I used to tear them down to grease the moving parts. CLP does just as good as grease did. I dropped my blackhawk off for my gunsmith to inspect it. He remarked that it was very clean. It's been two years since I have had the blackhawk inspected, it had no worn parts despite all the hot ammo I have shot in it.

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The only time you really should take it down is after buying it used. If you are the original owner and never buried it in frozen shiatsu, you're good.