Cleaned up my Highway Patrolman

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by boatme98, Feb 25, 2014.

1. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I cleaned the old HP up and tracked down some info.
    It's a true Highway Patrolman, not a Model 28.
    It's a 4 screw.
    Ser.# S120XXX
    This dates it to mid 1956 or 1957. Still trying to narrow it down more.

The stocks aren't original. They're dated April, 1987. I'll track down an original set with the diamond eventually.

It's a great old gun with very little use, as indicated by the light cylinder ring.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Very nice looking gun

3. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Very nice I have the same exact gun.
    Father in law X Highway Patrol captain

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looks really nice.

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

That title sounded a little dirty. :D

6. headhunter

headhunter Member

What a beautiful revolver! It is awesome to see something other than a plastic, striker fired, autoloader. There are some firearms a guy can look forward to passing on to his chidren or grandchildren.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Gorgeous gun! Thanks for sharing.

Love it.

(I need more wheel guns......)

9. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Let me make one thing clear, the Model 28 was also rollmarked "Highway Patrolman." That is, the gun didn't cease to exist as a Highway Patrolman when it was designated the Model 28. After implementing the new model numbering system, the original trade names were still in effect. Under the old model number system, the Model 27 and the Model 28 would have had the same model number.

I understand your post, just clarifying lest someone get the wrong impression.

Bob Wright

10. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Bob, I understand. Mine is simply marked Highway Patrolman. No model number.
    They started putting the 28, with Highway Patrolman, not long after mine was manufactured.
    I didn't know any of this myself until I actually got the gun and researched it. :)
    It's amazing all the permutations S&W has produced.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

That is one very, very, nice S&W! And anyone would be more than proud to own one like that. Hope you find some original grips for it. I do not know if they are the larger style grip like you have on it now since a lot of the older Revolvers of the day still had the small grips on them? Persoanlly I like the bigger grips.

I still have a S&W Model 27 5" which was my first Revolver as a young Deputy Sheriff in the 70s. It still is a beautiful Revolver with little wear since I always took excellent care of it.
    Good luck on your search for the Original Grips! Once again that is very, very nice!!!! Thanks for the great Pics! :D

12. natman

natman Member

What's the difference?

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

When the gun was introduced, it was simply marked "Highway Patrolman".
    There was no model number stamped on it.
    Then about a year and a half later, they started stamping both the H-P and Model 28 on the gun.
    There is no difference in the actual guns, just the marks, and it really doesn't mean much unless someone is trying to collect a series.
    I don't think it makes any difference in value.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good looking pistol Boats! :D

i am very envious!:p

several years ago when i was working the night shift, my shop foreman would always call me about 8 pm to see how things were going and such. one night he had run across a guy he knew that had a S&W 357 for sale for $250 and he said it was in pretty good shape. i told him that any S&W in 357 in decent shape was worth $250 for sure, and asked him if he knew which model it was. h e told me it was a Model 28 and had Highway Patrolman stamped on the barrel. i told him to buy it and run! he did. he showed it to me later that weekend and it was in dang near perfect condition.

15. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Here is a picture of my Highway Patrol pre model 28.
    357 Magnum.
    It was issued to my father in law early 1950s retired as a California Highway Patrol captain.

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Attached Files:

16. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Ez, very nice! It's nice to keep it in the family.

17. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Thank you yeah I don't sell I just collected lol

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America