Clean Energy vs. Golden Eagle

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Maverick, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just more proof they arent interested in anything other than destroying america and our way of life

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'm conflicted on this one to be honest.

On the one hand the use of wind power is very effective, clean, and is renewable FOR-EVAH. I happen to work in the power industry currently, so that is a concern.

On the other hand, you are talking about making a species EXTINCT if you don't do something. I'm not for extinct in the terms of something as beautiful, and useful, as an eagle. Now cats, that is a different story altogether. :rolleyes:

The blades on a wind turbine in Eastern Washington can spin as fast as 51 miles per hour at the very tip before the limiting controls kick in to keep it from doing damage to itself. The blades are also something like 100-150 feet in length, so we are talking about a serious piece of moving surface that could easily cut a semi truck in half in one swipe.

The downside of wind turbines is that their ideal location are long, flat, grassy areas with little to no obstructions. Great places for birds to hunt as well.

Not only do the blades spin in a clock like rotation, but they rotate on 3 axis as well, so just because it is facing one way today, doesn't mean it will be there again tomorrow. The drafts, upcurrents, downcurrents, etc. are never the same, so the fowls in question really have no way of "learning" to avoid them.

No good solution on this one. Glad I am not involved in any way because I don't know how to vote here. :confused:

JD

3. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I dont think this is an eagle, but an example nontheless....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAAzBArYdw&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Bird vs Wind Turbine‬‏[/ame]

4. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Thats an easy fix. Ti Cages around them painted FLO ORANGE so the birds can see it. Good lord how stupid are these people.

6. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Or put chicken wire type netting between the blades. I would rather, personally, run into a tight knit chicken wire than hit with the jolly green giants war club.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are putting up windmills instead of working on ways to re-use nuke rods and oil exploration... i would say pretty damn dumb.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I couldn't give a warm runny fart for the poor birdies, personally; take one for the team, as the rest of us have so many times, and get us off some fossil fuels to promote continued group breathing.

When i was at the University of Southern Mississippi, home of the "golden eagle" football team of Brett Favre ("now i'm retiring, now i'm a douche") infamy, the student intern whose job it was to feed the actual golden eagle mascot left school and was not replaced. The eagle freakin died in a giant net bird cage on campus, of starvation. Everyone suspected the frat rats had popped it with one BB too many until the autopsy revealed starvation. IIRC, only after this autopsy was it uncovered that the "Lil bunny FooFoo" supply had been cut off for a while.

I LOL'd. I'm sure the LSU fans LOL'd. I'm sure some bunnies did more than LOL. The federal wildlife peeps did NOT LOL.

edit* I wonder, could we teach bears to hanglide? :p

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

This isn't exactly news. They've been calling those things "Condor Cuisinarts" for years. No form of energy is going to be without some form of downside. Clean energy that purees birds. It looked good on paper.

10. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Exactly the point I was making. Just looking at the hypocricy of some of the reasons we cant drill in some areas. Save the (insert obscure animal/fish/insect here) and the left will attack in full force. But when its "green" energy.......... not a peep.

Wind energy has caused more fatalities in the US than nuclear power according to this article.

Inconvenient Truth: Wind Energy Has Killed More Americans Than Nuclear | NewsBusters.org

11. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Well, then, using progressive liberal logic, that website must be full of lies and democratic hate filled with repubtard writers that have nothing better to do than give the rich tax breaks and screw the little guys.....

(flips through script) I dont think I skipped a page....sound ok?

12. orangello

orangello New Member

This is just an example of the left doing what everyone has been harping on them to do, extending the viable life of the Social Security fund by eliminating some payout schedules. :D

I'm all for quisinarting some birds; can we relocate some homeless kitties to the area to clear the mess, or will the coyotes be burdened with the entire task themselves?

When watching the bird vs. giant blades video, did anyone else think "will it blend?" ?

13. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Not really, I hate anything to suffer or anything like that, but I like to hunt. But usually, hunters are one of the biggest animal right supporters with a BRAIN on the planet. In most cases that is. Then you have redneck goofballs that shoot crap then leave it to die suffering or just take the head or something. IMO, low lifes....

14. orangello

orangello New Member

The rest of us just call those people dumbasses for letting the adrenaline ruin the flavor of the meat or, in the case of the headhunters, wasting that meat when somebody or somebody's dogs would looooove to have it. There is some kind of halfway house in the next town that will take anything you don't feel like field dressing & put it to use.

Course, most people don't eat bear; they can die slow as all get out in my book. Heck, i wouldn't mind watching a big brown bear choke on a porcupine.

15. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Why your hate for bear by the way? Just curious.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

They just aren't practical as a free-ranging animal in today's America. If we MUST have seat belts, kiddie car seats, smoke-free cities/restaurants/damn near everything for today's Americans to survive, then there is no excuse for having bears roam free and threaten the citizenry. Bears in zoos = more than enough to continue the various species for perpetuity; stuff the rest or feed them to the really hungry people. I could live with (begrudgingly) supporting a crack-slinging murderer in a tiny room in a federal penetentiary, but supporting an entire population of creatures that represent a threat to hikers & children on public & private land where they could encounter unarmed or unprepared humans is past my limit for stupidity.

17. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Personally, I have run into a bear once, and it ran away, and have spent a lot of time camping and hiking. I say, instead of wiping them all out, just arm everyone!!!! ;)

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I missed the part where bears were "threatening" anyone. :confused:

If crack-slinging murderer, see below, comes into your yard or neighborhood and sets up shop, encroaching on your freedoms, the way you go about your life, you would have the right to go to the cops, or do something stupid yourself.

But reverse it and it's perfectly acceptable for city folk with no real sense of what the Law of Natural selection is all about to wander into the woods and make their little 2.5 rugrats "at home" at the expense of those already in the neighborhood and happen to have been there first. :rolleyes:

C'mon. Really?? How about every other dangerous creature on the planet? What kind of zoo is this we are creating here? And who is funding this?!?!

"murderer". Can I safely assume that this person was found GUILTY of MURDER?

If so, WHY are we paying to house this person in the first place? Why not feed them to the wild bears so they aren't hungry and therefor not a danger to The Nuclear Family on their big Eddie Bauer outing. :rolleyes:

Who are these people you speak of that are going INTO THE WILD and going unprepared??

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

im up for wiping em out just to watch a peta tard go nuts... heh