Clay semi

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by kiabe1, May 23, 2014.

1. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Whats a good semi auto clay gun. My budget is slightly limited so whatever you suggest i will probably be looking for used. Thx for the replies

2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Remington 1100

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I'll second the 1100. There are a lot of good used ones available as well. I have been using them for 51 years, and I will not own an unreliable firearm. The biggest enemy of any semi auto is the nut on the back of the stock.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Benelli makes the most popular clay semi autos. If you are on a budget I would look at a Mossberg 930 with a 28" barrel...30" barrel if you can find one.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Benelli makes popular semi autos, but I sure haven't seen many on the clays ranges. Berettas yes. Gas guns dominate on the range. But for anyone on a budget of any kind you can't beat a used 1100 unless your tastes run to Berettas.

6. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

what clay game?
    skeet
    trap
    sporting
    or back yard?

7. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

It might be all 3 i've never tried any before and just found out theres a club nearby that does all three

8. indy36

indy36 New Member

Remington 1100 is a classic.

Beretta A400 is popular.

Benelli Super Sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

What you might find that will be in your budget in a old stevens double barrel choked in skeet1 and skeet2 or improved cylinder and improved modified. If you find one it can be had for $350 or so.

No, you will not get a stevens fox for $350. The stevens fox is a collectors item. they were only made for a few years.

10. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I think you are confusing the Fox Shotguns with the Savage/Stevens Fox shotguns. The Savage/Stevens Fox shotguns were dressed up 311 actions with ejectors and single triggers and a little better wood. The old real Fox shotguns in good shape are much more valuable. Savage/Stevens bought Fox for the name.
    On any kind of tight budget, a Benelli or Beretta A400 is a real stretch.

11. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

What's your budget?
    $400 range: Stoeger semi-automatic. It has Benelli internals.
    $600 range: Mossberg 930 semi-automatic. Smooth and fast with limited recoil.
    $800 range: Beretta A300 Outlander. Little recoil, fast and lightweight.
    $1500 range: Beretta A400 with Kick-Off system. Zero recoil, fast, and lighter than the A300.

12. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I'd really like to stay under $700

13. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

You will not do better than a good used Remington 1100 or Beretta 3** for that money.
    The Stoeger does not have Benelli internals, it has Stoeger internals. It utilizes an inertia type action. So does the Franchi Affinity, but the Franchi is a lot closer to a Benelli. Except for the Montrefeltos, a lot of people think the Affinity looks better and feels better too. But for clay targets, I would not get an inertia action made by anybody. The Mossberg seems to get decent reviews. It feels like a Mossberg; you either like them or you don't.

14. indy36

indy36 New Member

For under $700, the Mossberg 930 JM Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. VoxRomantic

VoxRomantic Member

An 1100 works! The only shotgun I hunt or trap with is left handed 1100.....

Never had use for anything else...........

16. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

kiabe1....i sure wish you were closer to me. i could mould you into a clay killing machine.
    unfortunatley, the do all gun is usually the worst way to go, even on a budget.
    skeet, trap, and s.clays all require a different style gun.
    if all youre going to do is dabble in all 3 using a gun on a budget, youre going to do poorly and get frustrated.
    remember, the goal of the game is to hit all of them. you miss and you lose.
    all the guns mentioned will work.
    all the guns in the world will work.
    its like trying on shoes until you find one that fits.
    but...its not that easy. new guns dont promise performance. i had one fellow come in apr to the ftf shoot and his brand new gun was bored off center.
    i used my 60 year old gun and went straight without missing. the shoe fit me.
    this is my suggestion.
    pick one game. use the gun for that game. get good at it.
    then switch to a different game.
    may i suggest you start with trap.
    if you jump from one to the next without getting good, youre just gonna get frustrated and it wont matter what kind of gun you use.

its the nut behind the bolt that breaks targets.

texas aint so far...you really need to consider the meet in oct up here in s.mo. for ftf members only! get a ticket and take a vacation for a weekend.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  17. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm with the masses on this one. Lots of good guns out there but for $700 I doubt you will beat a used 1100.

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

What games do the ranges in your area have available? Trap is getting scarcer it appears to me, and skeet isn't far behind. Sporting clays are all the rage. I like Sporting, but unfortunately they are also the most expensive, due to the land requirements and set up required. On the positive side, I shoot sporting and skeet with a gun with field dimensions, and those work for a lot of other people as well. Good luck.

19. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

They have all three of those

20. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Hmm thanks for the advice i'll have to watch a couple games and see which one i like and go with that one